When discussing religion and spiritual beliefs.

Do you tend to discuss them with people who believe as you do? I have seen some pretty intense opinions on religions and spirituality, and I often wonder if ANY of the strong opinions are really their own. I want to know if you base your opinion on your own experiences or experiences of people around you. When discussing religion and spirituality are you surrounded by like minded who will agree with anything you say?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• not always..how boring would that be, to sit around and agree about everything? everyone, even 'like-minded' people, can bring something different to the discussion table, if given an open floor for discussion.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• LOL me, discuss my beliefs IRL? Really?!
    I live in the bible belt. Every single person I know is a christian here. Those that don't know me super well, assume I am a Christian. I don't normally reveal my beliefs until I am pretty good friends with them. It's about self preservation more than anything.

So when I DO discuss religion, like here, it's from my own personal beliefs. Not the opinions of those around me.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It does not matter as long as you are confident in your own beliefs - not cocky.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 3:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would never get to discuss it IRL if I only discussed it with people of my own "religion" because I am the only Pagan in my circle of friends and family, everyone else is some sort of Christian ... well, except for my hubby and he leans more toward Agnostic.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:33 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I dont care who Im talking to about my beliefs. If the subject comes up then I discuss and listen and all that good stuff that makes conversation nice.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I rarely discuss religion with people IRL, but most people don't have the same exact beliefs I do. Even my DH is a little different, and we're both Pantheists! I do like to talk to 'like-minded' people about religion, but really that can just mean anyone who is inclusive and interested in many religions. I also like talking with people who are quite different too, but only if I'm sure they are comfortable and not really judgmental of other views. Most people here in the Bible Belt seem to assume I'm Christian like them unless we've talked about religion specifically. On CM, I usually talk about my own beliefs but sometimes I discuss ideas that are not my own. I'm usually clear if I'm debating points in general or talking 'personally' by saying so. My DH seems to like to play devil's advocate with people just to make them think. It's hard to know what he believes if you don't know him well. He'll debate any side of an issue.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I base my opinions on constant study, discussion, reflection, conviction, etc. I don't believe just whatever someone else says, I believe what makes the most sense to me, what I feel is "right for me" based on my experience and understanding. I discuss with all sorts of people, too. To be honest, IRL I tend to be an underdog - I'm a heretic, so people say - and I don't really like discussing religion IRL unless its people I know wouldn't try to "save" or "fix" me because I'm some sort of "false believer". Even here, on CM, I'm "at odds" with a lot of the other Christians because I'm so unorthodox. Not in a bad way - I don't feel any animosity or anything, just I know my opinions are different than many of the Christians on here. So what I believe has nothing to do with knowing people who believe the same way, lol. I found Christian Universalism on my own, and I'm willing to talk about it, but not to be "set straight," kwim?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I can see that we have some major hypocrites. They are not Christians either.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:51 PM on Mar. 10, 2011