Can I quit?

I started drinking MUCH more water and my supply has drasticaly increased. I am also talikng: fenugreek, marsh mallow root, alfalfa,blessed thistle, nettle. If I stop taking them will my supply decrease, or not take so many? If anyone has a different concoction of what they take let me know!!

amberpatterson

Asked by amberpatterson at 2:43 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The good news is, how baby acts is NEVER an indication of supply. I can't say for sure, but your supply was probably fine in the first place. So, stop the supplements if you want, and just nurse on demand. If you're changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, your supply is fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• You can gradually start cutting back on the supplements. Chances are, you'll do fine getting off them 100%. just start gradually stepping down, one at a time. If you notice a big drop in supply you can always go back up again.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:51 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• What did you notice? Remember, the ONLY indication of supply is diaper count. 6-8 in a 24 hr period. Although, I don't think it will hurt anything to keep taking them, know that unless you're not seeing those diapers, you can stop if you want.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:24 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I agree with Krista622. You might see a drop in supply since you've been taking the supplements, but just keep nursing and your body will catch back up. Also know that the first six weeks are growth spurt after growth spurt, so it's perfectly normal for baby to not seem satisfied in the beginning. Stop overthinking i, relax, and just count diapers. And when around 4-6 months you stop leaking, your breasts start to feel "empty", etc. that's normal, too, and that is just your body finally self regulating. As long as baby is peeing like a champ, you're good.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Yikes. I've never heard of someone being on so many natural supplements. No idea. Here's a bump.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i know when i was taking fenugreek and stopped taking as much my supply decreased so i had to just keep taking more to keep my supply up
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 2:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• why are u taking all of that? Im not really sure what you mean by supply. Sry. just curious
    arkelly2188

Answer by arkelly2188 at 3:05 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• milk supply
    amberpatterson

Comment by amberpatterson (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• when I stopped taking them I dried up fast
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 3:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• What was the issue with your supply before the supplements? Most women are able to maintain their supply after the supplement boost, so I'd definitely try to stop the supplements. I'd try stopping little by little, and each time you stop one, keep an eye on diapers. How long have you been taking them?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2011