Why is my four year old so attached?

My four year old is so attached to me that sometimes I want to run away from her. It's not enough to sit next to her at mealtimes, she has to be touching me. When I take her to preschool, she won't even go put her lunch down, she has to hang on to my leg. Every night, after stories and snuggles, she cries if I don't stay until she falls asleep. I've tried positive reinforcement, negative reinforcement, to no avail. Will she ever grow out of this, or will she grow to resent me because she is not getting what she wants?

mzsl

Asked by mzsl at 2:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm having the same problem with my 5 year old boy. From the day he was born he was always happy to see mommy, but could care less if I left. He was more then comfortable being with anyone and everyone, especially grandma. We're expecting a baby this summer and since finding out he's been up my butt constantly! He no longer wants to stay the night anywhere, cries when I drop him off at school (which has NEVER happened) only wants me to make his food, put him to bed, etc etc. I do give him extra cuddle time, because I know it's the baby that's triggering the extra attachment. But at the same time I'm constantly reminding him that he's a big 5 year old, and he doesn't need his mommy all the time. I purposely let other people take over at meal times, or play time when I can, and I don't cave to the crying at night. When I drop him at school its 1 kiss and then you're 5 years old, you're fine, and I leave. Hopefully it gets better
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:49 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I was the same way when i was little. I refused to get dressed in the morning for school.. so i had to be dropped off in my jammies and get ready in the pricipals office. lol. My parents were going through a divorce.. so i'm sure that played a huge part in my separation anxiety.. but i eventually grew out of it. I'm still extremely close with my momma! I say just love on her while she still wants you to! :) I know it can be frustrating .. but it sounds like she just needs her mommy! :)
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 3:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Embrace it while it lasts.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I agree with mlmsm928 because there will come a day when she will be saying "mom will you just go away and leave me alone"

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:56 AM on Mar. 15, 2011