What do you think about this?

Why don't kids like to talk on the phone anymore (cell phones also)? Is it because they don't want to hear to confront the caller? Like it's too personal? Why is txting so... popular? You hear of these who can text more than so and so like a competition. And txting and driving is really bad. Do you let your child have unlimited texting or a 250 or 500 plan so they have some control?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think technology is responsible for the decrease in human contact.. all together...But i don't think its a super bad thing... I know that i would rather text that call someone... just because.. while texting that person.. you dont have to respond immediately.. you have time to think about your answer... and you can also be doing other things WHILE still talking to them....I agree that maybe parents should have more control as far as texting while driving.. and cell phone use in general. Kids can be too plugged in at times and miss out on other things.. But i LOVE technology. lol.
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 2:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I too would rather text than talk on a phone...I have to much to do than to walk around with a phone attached to my ear...at least with texting I can multi task a lot better, my son is also the same, he texts because he usually has a million other things going on..with school schedules, juggling spending time with family, friends, sports, homework, dinner...texting is just easier.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My daughter is still too young for a phone and I don't plan on allowing her to have one until she can buy and pay for it on her own....this may seem harsh, but I'm not having no naked 13 yr olds on the internet lol....anyways to answer your question I agree with kaitilala....texting is just easier and more conveniant sometimes....I personally would rather text then talk on the phone....like she said you can think about what your going to say, kind of play around with it before your commited to saying anything, I can still text regardless of screaming children and barking dogs in the background...not so much with the phone...and I feel like my conversations are a little more private...can discuss DD's birthday party or something without her being all in the mix lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 3:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• my kids are too young for a phone. i hate to even think about what is going to be like in 12-15 years when they are old enough for one. well cell phones will be out dated by then
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 3:15 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I'm 26 and prefer texting. I can multi-task and when my son is fussing and fighting about something I don't have to tell the other person to wait or not hear what they are saying because of him.
    jdzamko

Answer by jdzamko at 4:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2011