When's a good time to start looking for a new place? **EDITED**

Ok, so last year when we moved we started looking for apartments/houses towards the end of June, early July. We needed to be moved in by the middle of August AND we needed a place in the required area for my DD's school. Everywhere we called or went to either had a waiting list, or nothing would be ready until Septemberish. We ended up moving into a place we really didn't (and still don't) like. When is a good time to start looking for a new place? Our landlord knows we're going to move and said that if anyone calls to verify information or that we gave notice, he would confirm that we gave plenty of notice. The lease is up again in August, is it to early to start looking in April or May?

After looking through some of the helpful answers I've been given, I decided to add a little bit more to my question...

The lease on our current apartment is not up until August (which sucks when we're looking for a new place), we are not going to break our lease, but if we HAVE to we're willing to pay July and August's rent on our current place and move into the new the new one simultaneously. Unfortunately, when it comes to moving, the area we are in and want to continue staying in is surrounding the university and the elementary school (that my DD is attending and we're really only staying in the area because we want her to keep attending until middle school) is one of the highest ranked public school in the city. So, it's very difficult to find a place during the summer because everyone is clamoring to meet school area requirements as well as college students looking for a place close to school. So, our problem last year was that by the time we started looking, everywhere was already taken or not ready until September. But, I'm worried if we start looking to early whatever we find will not hold it or wait until our lease is up.

brandy0827

Asked by brandy0827 at 2:49 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think you can start looking in April or May for sure. Some places may not know what they will have available by May but you could get on the waiting list.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:51 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• This is going to depend a lot on if you have a college around. If you do, then you could notice a lot of vacancies during the summer, but you'll also have to fight the crowd of new students coming in (again during the summer).

Generally the worst time to move is during the summer. The best time to move is late fall to winter. IMO I've had it easiest mid October.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It's a little early unless u are breaking your lease. If you find a place now it could be rented out thats why i say ya a little early
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 2:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• If they have an opening and you put a deposit down, it's yours. But you HAVE to put a deposit down.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• if people are planning on moving before school starts they tend to start looking around March - April. If you do move out of district, schools tend to let kids finish out the year. It may mean driving her to school and picking her up. If you move by June, she can still finish out the year, get to know the kids in the neighborhood and be ready for the new school in September.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:48 AM on Mar. 11, 2011