How long should someone take to train a 5K?

I'm going to do a 5K. The last time I ran was 1.5 miles last year and it took me about 20mins. But that was the first time I started running in about 4years and I really want to get back at it, but how long should I expect to train. I have a couple of months until the 5K but I'm the type of person who is always trying to beat their last time lol. So I want to continuously get faster.

vjoaquin

Asked by vjoaquin at 3:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Someone in my office runs half marathons and 5K's. She uses the schedules available on Hal Higdon's website. Here's a link for the 5K novice training schedule: http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Knovice.htm

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:22 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Check out the couch to 5k program. It's great for beginners and takes you through a structured 9 week program where you use walk breaks and progressively phase out the walk breaks.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 3:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• C25K is a great program.
    I did my first 5K last month, and I started running in September. I took it really slowly, and I'm glad I did. I'm shooting for a half marathon in August.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• couch 2 5k is a great program! try it.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 11:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• C25K!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:41 AM on Mar. 14, 2011