What technique did you use to potty train your toddler?

WAHU2010

Asked by WAHU2010 at 3:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I sat my son backwards on the potty so it was like he was going potty like daddy, and it also taught him the concept to pee like a boy when he got bigger to actually stand and pee
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 3:24 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• We stuck with positive reinforcement like crazy! We started with small rewards, but then it became a game and he wanted to go every 5 minutes. We tried hyping it up and doing a potty dance, he just looked at us like we were douche bags...lol! We bought big boy underwear and tried "big boy" encouragement. Nothing worked until he was ready. He could totally do it, but would just get lazy with it. It probably goes back to the whole control issues toddlers have. When we stopped pushing, he started doing it himself. Now he wears a pull up only to sleep in and underwear all other times and hasn't had an accident in over a week! It's like it happened overnight! Just always positive reinforcement. Never ever punishment because that could mess them up. It will happen in their own time. Good luck!
    Jeannie721

Answer by Jeannie721 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My very own..from the heart and what I felt would work - and it did! My Son was fully potty trained in only 4 DAYS, and I was/still am so proud! He did perfectly. =]
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 3:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I told him we were out of diapers so he had to use to potty. Honestly...it worked.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:04 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• With my son we introduced the concept early... sitting on the potty, having him go before bath time, things like that, but not pushing the issue
    When he started to show some interest we worked on it more... went out and bought some undies with his favorite characters, got some jelly beans for a reward and also a sticker chart and he took off.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:36 PM on Mar. 10, 2011