How do I get my three year old to be learn the steps of emtions and not go strait to anger?

Please help I have been taking him to YMCA classes and he constantly gets bad marks not compliant, does not listen, hits and bites other children calls everyone stupid. We have tried time out, taking things away from him but, it is just getting worse please help

Grams2007

Asked by Grams2007 at 3:35 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• that's rough! i try with my daughter to really talk about her feelings (after removing her from the situation immediately) and ask her open questions: what happened with christina? how did you feel when she took your ball? when you were sad, what did you do? etc and help her work through it. also at home, i refuse to listen to her b.s. if she starts a fit over, say, the tv show that just came on. i ask her, "shiloh, what can we do about that? crying doesn't change the channel. what changes the channel?" idk if it'll be too useful in the long run but my idea is that she will seek solutions as opposed to just screaming about the problem... she's doing a lil better so we'll see... good luck.
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 3:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Good respone it is very tuff and I felt so misserable for the situation and how sad it all turned out to be being a grandmother is very hard . Thanks again
    Grams2007

Comment by Grams2007 (original poster) at 4:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• with ds, i sit right by him and tell him to calm down until he stops throwing a fit then i try to talk to him about it or tell him what he needs to do. hope it helps and good luck!! Oh maybe try telling her that if she doesnt be good, that your gonna pull her out of the classes, if your able to lol
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I have to get down to his level and give him the words he needs, "I know you're really mad right now" and then I try to help him calm down by just repeating, "I know you're upset, you're really mad because ____." I think this age is really hard and they start testing so much right now. My DS will be awesome one minute and then melt down the next.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 8:13 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My little guy has a nasty temper and he also calls names plus he throws things. I'm trying to work on empathy and discussing how saying mean things makes others sad and throwing things could really hurt someone. I think discipline is a small part of the solution, helping them understand their own hurt feelings and how their actions is most important. Biting/hitting are signs of frustration, is your child able communicate?
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 14, 2011