Should your be able to tell you who you cant talk to??

I have a cousin that he does not like the choices she has made in life...which i undersatnd ... but i dont think he hasthe right to tell me not to talk to her ..the more he hasan issiue w this makes me angry with him

desires0123

Asked by desires0123 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• Cannot answer without a lot more info , like who the other person is and how your relationship with your SOis
    pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• No; however, my DH told me one time that he was uncomfortable with me talking to a male friend of mine just because he thought my male friend was interested in being more than just friends with me. Since he has told me that I have limited my interaction with said friend, because I respect and love my DH, and the fact that he didn't just straight up tell me that I couldn't talk to him.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I think it depends. I know people are Going to say no, they aren't your father or whatever, but if it makes them uncomfortable, then why would you want to? If my dh told me that talking to so and so made him uneasy or he didn't like them because of whatever, we would talk about I and if I felt he had a justifiable reasons, then yes, I'd stop talking to whoever....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:49 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My DH does not tell me who I can and can't talk to. He will say he doesn't like a certain person's actions if that is the case, but he is pretty easy going and gets along with pretty much everybody.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• No but an open discussion between the two of you should happen. Find out what he objects to and why then go from there.

My hubby didn't like my best friend while she was married to his brother, but since the divorce and her current marriage, he has come to think of her as family. I refused to end my friendship with her and even took her side in the divorce over the slime, whoops, I mean his brother.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:53 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• No. I think it's fine to express concern over a friendship and explain your reasons for that concern and allow your SO to make their own decision as to whether or not to end the friendship. But to simply say "I don't want you to be friends with so and so; stop it!" is not right. If you express your concerns and your reasons, and your SO continues a friendship (without explaining why they disagree with you) that you really feel is harmful to your relationship, then instead of trying to end that friendship, you need to look at your relationship and why your SO wouldn't even consider that you might have a point.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• its ur family so he has to deal with it...my df doesnt like my family so he thinks and trys to get me not to talk to them.
    tabcat816

Answer by tabcat816 at 10:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2011