Birth control to eliminate periods?

Does anyone take the birth control pill continuously to completely suppress their period? I've heard of people doing this and am wondering how it works and if there are side effects. My main reason is that getting my period is a major migraine trigger for me... I can pretty much block off the week of my period on my calendar because I know I will be laying on the couch with an ice pack for those seven days. I am on the bcp but take it in the traditional way with a week off out of every month. I'm going to ask my doctor at my next physical in May, but just wanted to get some information first.

Freela

Asked by Freela at 3:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Health

• It's possible to only get your period once in awhile, whether you're on a pill that's meant to only give you three periods a year (or whatever) or you're on a regular pill and you just skip the week where you're supposed to get it. It's perfectly okay and totally healthy.
    Just know that even though you're not supposed to get your period if you do this, you can still get some light spotting (or even a full blown period for a couple days) during the time your body thinks you should. You can also get period symptoms without getting your actual period.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My DD regulates her periods with BCPs for big occasions, such as her wedding cruise. Nothing spoils a good wedding like Ol' Auntie Flo! They are going on another cruise next week for Spring break & she is doing the same thing. On occasion, it doesn't hurt anything. Her gyno was the one who taught her how to do it. However, I'm not sure about doing it every single month. I would talk to my gyno about that. There may be another way to deal with your migraines than messing with your body's normal reproductive system.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 3:56 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Sure..and on top of the benefits of less periods, birth control decreases your risk for ovarian cancer big time! Talk with your dr. My sis is on birth control just for that fact b/c my grandma passed away a year ago from ovarian cancer! g/l
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i take a regular pill continuously (throw all the white ones away and start another pack of pinks immediately) because my periods make me so miserable. i was really against this for a long time but after i had my dd i just couldn't stand it anymore, trying to care for her with migraines, cramps, and back pain wasn't working. i am SOOOOO happy i started skipping them. i feel so much better, i don't have to worry about the inconvenience or the pain, my skin is clearer, and i very rarely spot even when i should be on the rag. i wish i would have done it years ago.
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I believe Seasonique is one of those pills but you need to chat about it with your doc. Also, they ARE giving migraines sufferers botox in certain areas to help stave off the migraine and it has worked for some but you'd have to ask the doctor. Could be a life saver.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i do not think it is a good idea to take a pill that eliminates your period. i am sorry you struggle so with yours. what is your diet like? have you considered seeing a homeopath, a chiropractor or an acupuncturist? do you get enough good fat in your diet? do you get enough fiber? enough green veggies and colorful fruit? are you drinking 2-3 liters of water a day? are you overweight or underweight?
    those pills have not been out long enough to know if there are long term adverse side effects. hormone replacemnt therapies are known to increase cancer...why not the birth control pills? i think that long term birth control use may be contributing to the high infertility rates we are seeing.
    personally, i think that whenever you chemically stop the body from doing what it is supposed to do, you are asking for trouble.
    i truly wish you good luck and much better health!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:18 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It is not totally ok or healthy. Our bodies are meant to have periods.
    Anonymous

• It's not healthy to completely stop it intentionally, but a lot of women get on birth control pills to help regulate it. Ask your doctor what he can give you to help with the migraines instead of trying to stop your periods.
    liz.1986

Answer by liz.1986 at 7:07 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I do and have for years
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:01 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I wish I could do it, but the pill I am one has only 1 hormone and no inactives!
    Mommyto2LilMen

Answer by Mommyto2LilMen at 3:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2011