Toddler touching herself??

How can I get my 2 year old to quit touching herself It makes me feel uncomfortable and I know its normal for toddlers to "explore" but she isn't just touching herself she is using other things to do it and right now she only does it if she sits on the potty but doesn't pee. Ive told her No No thats naughty and icky but is there anything else I can do?

JordonMichelle

Asked by JordonMichelle at 3:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i didn't want to tell my dd it was "nasty" or "icky" because i don't feel that it is... i want her to be comfortable and aware of her body or touching her body, but obviously you don't want her doing it in the store or your cousin's wedding lol. i just gently removed her hand (over and over, like anything else you try to teach them, it took awhile) and said, "oh, we're not going to touch your privates right now. let's finish changing your diaper/going potty/ etc."
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 4:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I don't really think there's much you can do besides wait for her to grow out of it.. It will pass! As you said it's very normal.. and as long as she isn't doing it in public or anything.. i wouldn't worry to much.
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 3:59 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• To be honest, I have no idea how to get them to quit touching themselves. My DS loves to touch himself, but he has diaper on most of the time. I normally tell him that he has the rest of his life to touch his penis, and to please let me put your diaper back on. I think it is completely harmless, as long as they aren't touching other little kids.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 4:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Never tell your child that touching herself is bad, naughty, etc. It is perfectly normal for toddlers to touch themselves and explore their bodies - and to want to do the same to other people! If you make her feel she's bad because of it, it can give her serious emotional issues.
    Treat it in a matter of fact way. Not good, not bad. just part of life.

Now sometimes I do tell my little girl it's icky to stick her hands in her butt/crotch, but it's for hygiene reasons. It's also funny to say "Hey! Get your hand out of your butt! Now smell it!" (she sniffs then makes a face and says "ewwww!") "Yeah, see? Now go wash your hands." But we both laugh about it.
    Let her explore. Just make sure she washes her hands when she's done. If you don't make a big deal about it, she will get used to her body parts and stop doing it so much.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 4:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• This is just my opinion but I wouldn't tell her that touching herself is nasty or icky.  I've heard on here that can create the child to have low self esteem. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Ohhhhhhhhh Shilohsmama I LOVE LOVE LOVE that idea!  I'll have to remember that for my next one coming up!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 4:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I guess the reason I tell her its Nast and Icky is my "cousin" Touched me down there when he was i think in his 20's and I was only 7 or so I aslo as a child got told No No its icky and nasty and wrong so that could also be a part of it I can't even touch myself now because of it all (sorry Tmi). I love the Ideas you have gave me though Ill stop tellin her its Icky and stuff But I will start tell her this isn't the time. Or lets not do that right now. I never ever thought of that. Thank You all so much!!
    JordonMichelle

Comment by JordonMichelle (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2011