Finally!!!! Woohoo!! Now I could use some financial advice.

We have had a really big fight on our hands. Some family members were taking major advantage of an elderly family member's financila comfort. He is finally seeing what we have been warning him about. FINALLY!!

Problem...One of the ones taking advantage is power of attorney. He is of sound state and mind. I suggested he find someone to appoint that is not in any way shape or form a family member or family friend.

What exactly are we looking for? A lawyer? Financial advisor? I am at a loss. He is ready to fix this before his health begins to fail. He does have some health issues but nothing major as of yet. We get his results back for some tests very soon. He wants the this taken care of, or at least put in motion, before we get test results.

Any suggestions? Please keep in mind he was worth two million dollars and they have dwindled him down to $150,000. This needs done. 

Before you ask...we fought tooth and nail to get people in the family to hear us out on this. We were dubbed the liars until yesterday. Please any suggestions welcome.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• You need to find an elder attorney. If you are in the Chicago metro area, I can recommend a couple.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:08 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would look in a larger city for an attorney that deals with the elderly.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• He found NUMEROUS credit cards opened in his name as well that he did not know existed.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• No we are not. He made them POA because his spouse was dying and he went in hospital with heart issues. Now he is fine and he is aware of how badly they are screwing him. We live in a small town. Do you think I will have to look into a larger city, about 40 miles from us, for an elder attorney? I will do it just do not wanna waste time looking around here if they are not in small areas.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2011