Is it inappropriate for a spouse to go out without their spouse?

for example tonight a mutual friend that we have known for 10+ years is having some drinks at a local bar for her 23rd birthday. she's asking everyone to meet up at 9:30, and DH has to work in the morning so he just wants to relax tonight when he gets home from work. he told me he doesn't care if i go, but i just feel bad for leaving him here by himself. Dh is not shy either so if he truly did not want me to go, he'd speak up. if i decided to go i would probably only stay gone for an hour. it's not a trust issue, i think it's more of a respect issue. so i will probably stay home with him.

would you go or stay? do you think it's disrespectful to your husband to go out without him, or vice versa?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• I don't see an issue with going. Your married not fused together.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 4:48 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Id go and have plenty of times. My dh isnt someone who enjoys going out (introvert) and I LOVE going out with our friends (extreme extrovert). From the get go dh has always known this and I go with my friends or our co-friends often and he will stay home and feign sickness or being tired. I dont think it is disrespectful at all. In fact its a bday celebration for a friend, I would not want my friend to get mad at me for not coming for an hour.

Answer by gemgem at 4:51 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I'd go and visit for awhile and make it an early evening.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• big smile mininothing about this situation is disrespectful and inappropriate. it's not liked you are going to a swingers party .

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would go.
    Anonymous

• I dont think there is a problem going, it depends on how good of friends I were with the person whether I would go or not. Most of the time I choose to stay with dh, just because he is the one I would rather spend time with. It doesnt hurt to be away from eachother for a few hours, I know I dont feel disrespected when my husband goes out without me (granted its very rarely so I know he deserves the break)
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 4:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I think every couple needs time away from one another... i'd say GO.. have fun!
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 4:53 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I'd go and have fun, I think time apart is important as well as time together. We are not the same person, so there are times where I want to do things and he doesn't or vise versa, also we have separate friends so there are times where I go with my friends or he goes with his.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i would go you deserve a break inappropriate sounds like control talk.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• you should be able to do whatever you please being married doesn't mean being in prison
    both the man and woman should have time to get away and enjoy them selves if that's for a
    couple hours, a day or the whole weekend whatever can be agreed upon between the two of you
    but i think any man or woman that is controlling to the point that they don't let the other have their own space
    and get away is insecure within because in any situation people just sometime's need a break!! so i say
    have fun!!!!
    ash2011903

Answer by ash2011903 at 4:56 PM on Mar. 10, 2011