I'm going thru a custody case in which my son's father has had very little to do with him until now. I filed the papers and he has filed a counter claim asking for full custody. Has anyone been through this before?

I'm single and have a 10 month old son. His daddy his only given about $200 dollars in child support since he's been born and only had him approximately 6 times for visits.

Asked by red1981 at 11:28 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I went through something similiar last summer when I went to get my kids back from their dad. I've been separated from him for a li'l over two years. He doesn't work or so he says, and he's only paid a total of 500$ in two years. He's supposed to pay monthly but doesn't. Yet, he thinks he's stable enough to have custody of our kids. I work full time and go to school full time. I support our children. As long as you are working and support your son, he won't win. Plus, the visits he's had, and the amount he's paid, the judge will look at that.

Answer by sweetbutsinful at 11:37 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Also, if the father has any kind of drinking problems or drug problems, the judge will look at that.

Answer by sweetbutsinful at 6:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Keep a notebook. Keep track of dates when Dad see's baby. Keep track of money givin. Amount & date. This notebook is your proof.It's pretty hard for someone to take a child away from his mom in the usa unless they can prove mom is unfit. Most Dad's in these cases are just looking for money. It's sad but they look at their child as a pay check. In MN if you are 2 months in the rears for child support they suspend your driver's lic. They have to go through alot to get it back. Just keep your records. You'll be oky. It sounds like you are a really good mom and take good care of your child. Do not worry.You will come out on top

Answer by Barb947 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• You've been given good advice w/ how to document and if you need more support, i'd like to invite you to a group I own on this subject:

Answer by sjmookie at 11:10 AM on Jun. 20, 2008