Did you feel the "ring of fire" even with an epidural?

when i gave birth vaginally to my first (unfortunately my last two came by c-section) i remember feeling like my pelvis was on fire, and the epi doing absolutely nothing for it. the nurse told me it's "bone pain" and the epidural doesn't work on that area. it was the moment when her head was passing through the pelvis. some of my friends who've had epi's say they didn't have this pain, or don't remember it, and others say they did have it. so out of curiosity, did you experience the "ring of fire"? btw, this was almost 5 years ago and i STILL remember the pain LOL

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I felt NOTHING after the edpiural. I really can't help you.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:15 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I birthed 2 without an epidural (2 with) and don't recall a "ring of fire" with any of them.
    Anonymous

• Nope, I had an epi and did not feel that. Just a TON of pressure when it was time to push. They kept telling me, "It's not pain, it's pressure! The epidural won't do anything for that!" Just felt like I had a ton of bricks pressing against my pelvic floor, that's all.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 5:22 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I didn't, either time. I had a light epidural with my first so I could still feel all my contractions and I could get up and walk around a bit. With my second, I had an epidural that wiped out all feeling and I couldn't move my legs. It was so easy to push with him!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I had an epi--and felt absolutely nothing! :)
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I'm with everyone who had the epi and felt nothing. All I felt was pressure, no pain and no "ring of fire". I hope this time around it's the same.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• With my first I was given a lot more medication through the epi then I probably should have had. I was so drugged up I could barely stay awake & had about no idea what was going on & I didn't feel anything at all! I couldn't even tell if I was pushing!
    With my second they gave me just enough meds through the epi to ease the pain I definately felt the "Ring of Fire" but it wasn't too bad.
    with my third child I just made it to the hospital and as soon as I got in the delivery room I was pushing! I had no time for anything not even blood pressure cuff LOL! I remember being in so much pain from the labor that the "Ring of Fire" was about 3seconds of pain and seemed to hurt less than with the birth of my second child.
    I'm even thinking about going completely natural again!
    CrazyMommy87

Answer by CrazyMommy87 at 5:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I had an epi - felt absolutely nothing which made it very hard to push when the doctor said so because I was completely numb.
    Anonymous

• With my son I felt absolutely nothing except his final exit.
    With my daughter I felt the burn of my vaginal entrance as it stretched to let her through. That's due to the Epidural wearing off enough where even the quick burst button wasn't helping.
    With my second son (born three weeks ago) the epidural had warn off enough where I could feel the rectal pain (Had back labor) at the start of every contraction, him pushing down, and him coming out. The worst pain I have ever felt. I started crying and even yelped in pain. Yea, soo glad we're done having kids .. who knows what the next would've been like.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My first two pregnancies i had an epideral and i didnt feel anything. There was no pain at all. With my last one i felt it all and boy that was the most pain i had ever felt. Im not sure which way ill go this time. But as i said when i got one i had 0 % pain. Sorry that you had pain with it.
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 6:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2011