Repeate preschool?

They want my friends son to repeat pre-k, that he is not socially developed enough to move on. She is debating on what she should do, he is already 5 (turned 5 in January) so if they hold him back another year he will be almost 7 by the time he goes to kindergarten. I think that is too old, but I am not sure what to advise??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Have him evaled in by the school system he is going to Kindergarten in... they are well suited to make the determination. That will take away the "preschool just wants more money" factor. Social development is a huge factor here, if he's not ready he will struggle in K... and since the K curriculum is more like what 1st grade used to be he will need to be able to keep in in K or his first real school experience will be hell for him and his parents.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I was faced with the same issue with my twin boys. I didn't put them in K until they were 6. In fact, the other families on our block who had boys the same age (3 to be exact) made the same decision unbeknownst to the rest. We all made the decision based on our kids' needs, not what the rest of the neighborhood was doing. There is no rush in getting kids into school if they're not ready. My boys are now 18 & will graduate in May. We talked about how I had made this decision back then. They said they felt it was a good decision as they would have hated to struggle through school, not being ready. Being more mature makes for a stronger student. Not always, but generally speaking. If the child is too young developmentally, they will struggle & possibly have to be held back at some point. I chose to wait an extra year instead of running the risk of dealing with the "being held back" dilemma. I was the right decision for my boys.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would follow Crafty26's advise. Social skills are not completely about "making friends". The ability to follow directions, listening to adults and peers, carrying a conversation, expressing ones needs, these are all social skills. If a child isn't able to tell their teacher they're needs, they're going to fall through the cracks in K. If they're not able to follow multiple step directions, they're going to fail K. If the child is unable to converse on a appropriate level, they're going to fail K. A child could have 50 friends, but if they're socially unable to do the previous tasks they're not going to succeed at K, and then it starts the labeling process. They will forever be "the kid that got held back." Have the school district where he would attend K evaluate him. If they agree with preschool then I think mom should listen and do another year. If the school feels as though he'd be successful in the classroom (cont)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:35 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Since pre-school isn't required by any state that I am aware of I think they are just looking for more money.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:22 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would send him to kindergarden. She is not required to send him to pre-k and it would be best for hiim if he could continue with those friends he made at pre-k. That is socially better than holding him back and putting him with brand new kids again.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• then give K a go and see what happens. But most of the time preschools do not make recommendations based off financial reasons. Contrary to some people's belief, preschool teachers are doing what's best for the child and his/hers development. Starting kindergarten at 6 isn't that big of a deal, and maturity has a lot to do with classroom success.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would send him to K. Social development is not reason enough to hold a child back, especially in pre school (which is NOT even a necessity).

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:19 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Send him to Kindergarten and spend the summer helping with his social issues. Preschool is NOT required.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:24 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• He's not socially developed enough to move on? So what if a child has Aspergers (sp?) are they never going to allow them to move on past pre-K? Come on, that isn't a reason to hold back a child! They should be going on learning, not social skills. School is to learn and to grow the mind, not to see how many friends you can get by the end of the year. I think she needs to fight this, because that to me is ridiculous. It's preschool.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:53 PM on Mar. 10, 2011