The annoying things people say. Sort of a rant... kind of long.

We all have people in our daily lives (husbands/boyfriends, family members, friends) who constantly say the same things to you that just make you more and more angry/annoyed every time you hear them. You roll your eyes, sigh, make gestures with your arms to signify your annoyance, and they don't notice... thus, they continue to do the same thing. They don't notice the irony behind whatever it is they're saying... the reason it drives you crazy. I'm sure you all know what I mean!

For me, that person (the only person I see every day) is my best friend/roommate. He's no dummy... but man... some of the things he says to me just make me wanna smack some sense into him!
He'll often say to me when he leaves for work in the morning: "Clean this place up." Well... YEAH. I'm unemployed and he works seven days a week... of COURSE I'm going to do the cleaning. He comes home and makes a mess - leaves dishes and food wrappers on the coffee table, leaves the peanut butter on the counter, DVD cases everywhere... and when they are magically put away when he gets home, who does he think does that? Yeah... ME. Apparently he doesn't realize he doesn't have to TELL me to clean up... I'll do it anyway. Yeah, if he needs some specific clothing item washed, or something, that I might not normally do first, sure... ask... but to generally say "clean this place up" seems rather obvious.
The other thing he does is tell me to eat. We've been a little low on food the past couple weeks - he got a new phone, we transfered cable companies, and he's got school loans to pay back, so sometimes that adds up and we can't buy a bunch of groceries. He pays the bills and everything (because I'm unemployed) and he doesn't often complain about it, as he can afford it - we go to a movie every couple weeks, because he wants to, so obviously that's money gone too. I feel guilty if I sit at home and eat the food all day, so I usually only eat the bare minimum - a couple pieces of toast for breakfast, MAYBE a PB&J for lunch, and a small portion of whatever I make for dinner. My roommate... he's not a tiny guy. He's got a big appetite. I'm not going to eat all the food he buys when he works up more of an appetite than I do. He doesn't cut back on what he eats AT ALL... I figure it's thoughtful of me to not eat to the point of bursting so that HE can. But he tells me to eat... if I were to eat as much as he wants me to, there wouldn't be anything left for him!
Think before you talk, man!

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• LOL , when my friend takes her kids to the town pool, every single time her DH says " make sure you watch them" Duh! No she's gonna chuck them in the deep end and go have a massage ! He's a paramedic, she's a Doctor, and yet he still thinks he needs to remind her to watch her own kids.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• HA HA HA! That is hilarious and reminds me of my husband who also tells me to eat and when to eat...He'll come home from work and the first thing he asks...before even asking how are daughter is doing today is "What did you eat today?" I'll tell him, if he's satisfied he'll go on to the next topic, if not he'll just start fixing me a plate of something, regardless of if I'm hungry or not....it's the strangest thing...he's also not the smallest guy in the world (6'1 and 360lbs) maybe it's a guy thing.
    He tells me to do obvious things too...we're both going to bed for the night..he'll tell me to turn the TV and lights off, nah I'm just going to keep them on all night. I catch the dog peeing somewhere...he'll tell me to clean up the pee and put the dog out...what the hell did you think I was going to do with the pee? roll around in it?
    Damn this got long...didnt mean to take over your post, just wanted you to know I can relate
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• haha, I have a close friend who loves to say " we are all on a journey", "she's on the same journey as me but a year behind", "everyone has to walk their own journey" - I ain't on a journey sunshine!!!! I haven't left my loungeroom, she thinks it sounds hippy and alternate, it just pisses me off!
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Oh man. I don't want to make things worse for you by saying the wrong thing here, but I think you need to take a little responsibility. Yes, someone could take it upon themself to notice you huffing and puffing and rolling your eyes at what they say. But you could also just clearly and calmly state that you'll be happy to clean up today just like you do everyday but you would appreciate not being told to do so every single morning. That sends a message much more clearly then expecting someone to read your signals. And you deserve to eat. Maybe it's not your money buying the food but you clearly have an arrangement with your roommate and you clearly contribute around the house by cleaning and cooking, so you should be eating enough to keep yourself healthy and not hungry. If your roomie isn't curtailing his spending or eating why should you have to hold back? It's only because you are choosing to, not because he forces you. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 5:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• This is so funny ladies. Don't you think that by speaking your mind you could get your point across? It wouldnt' take much just a simple, I will clean up today but tonight, when i have it spotless, please help me keep it that way by putting things away as you go, Destructor! Just talk to him, let him know how you feel. Good luck
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Trust me, I told him this morning that he doesn't have to tell me (especially so bluntly like that). I'll just do it!
    I think I got my point across. :P
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 5:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• If it was me I would eat the food that he says for you to eat and than he would see how much food that is and than maybe he wouldn't complain so much about how much you eat. Have you ever tried appling for food stamps?
    momoftwins250

Answer by momoftwins250 at 6:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2011