I'm not trying to be rude at all, just curious, by why do people adopt children from other countries when there are children in need of families in America?

Everyone has the right to do what they want, but I just want to know why they would go through such a difficult process and travel half way around the world to get a child, when you could adopt from closer to home? Just wondering

Butterflysky_24

Asked by Butterflysky_24 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Adoption

• I wanna know too...bump
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 5:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• girl you can say that again i totally understand your point of view about this one i have had this discussion with other people before and they look at me like i am a bitch or something...
    mztxdelta

Answer by mztxdelta at 5:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• because children in America most likely will not eat flies for dinner, they don't die from thirst and hunger, they don't live on the streets, there is welfare programs in the USA. the situations abroad are waaaaay more critical. i totally see why they adopt foreign kids. hearts off to all the Americans who do it.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 5:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i want to know too, just like when we help other countries and nobody help us.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It's a lot longer process to adopt from America. It's only a few years out of the states. I know a family who adopted from Taiwan only18 months. Another family waited 8 years to adopt one from America
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• adopting in the US is a nightmare. It takes YEARS, they look at ridiculous things like your credit, past credit, bankruptcies (even 15 year old ones) diabetes, past cancer, etc etc etc. If you're looking to add a child to your family it's simply faster, cheaper, and less drama adopting oversees. Ever with the having to travel.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:33 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Well I know 2 families that adopted out of country. One adopted siblings from South America. They chose south america because it would've cost them close to 80,000 when all was said and done to adopt 2 infant siblings here. The total cost of the South American siblings was 12,000, including several flights down there and back to meet the children, meet the family, talk with lawyers, and finally to bring the children back. The second family adopted a baby girl from China. Not only was the cost of adoption cheaper for this family as well, the restrictions and guidelines were met. This family had 2 working parents, and the American adoption agency said they were unfit to raise an infant, because the child would require daycare or other outside help. The Chinese adoption agency didn't care that both parents were working, so they were allowed to adopt. I've heard several other cases where America makes it almost impossible (cont)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:35 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My honest opinion is because they want to adopt a baby rather than a child and it is much more difficult to adopt an infant in this country. I'm sure most people do first try to adopt a baby in this country. Thing is by the time the infants that should have been put up for adoption in the first place in this country actually do get put up for adoption they've already been taken away from their negligent parents a few times and are OLDER with many issues.
    Anonymous

• also most people do want toddlers/infants. In the US the little ones stay in foster care, the courts attempt parent reunification or to place the child with aunts, grandparents, etc etc and often the foster parents who've cared for the child since birth fall in love with them and try to adopt them themselves. from overseas a child is abandoned or rights are signed over in a quicker and more instantaneous matter. This means in a matter on 6-12 months you could be bringing home a baby/toddler where-as in the USA bringing home a baby/toddler could take 5-7 years on a waiting list.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• for working families to adopt, or gay families for that matter. The adoption agency deems them "unfit" and they are no longer able to proceed. Where as other countries tend to be more tolerant, or relaxed on their working homes policy, and therefore it's easier and cheaper to adopt these children. My aunt and uncle adopt my cousin from here, but the adoption started before she was born and wasn't finalized until she was almost a year. Her birth mother kept changing her mind, and at one point my aunt and uncle almost gave up and adopted a Korean baby, because he would've been theirs in less then 2 weeks. They stuck through it though and got my cousin, but it turned them off from adopting another American child. I don't know that this is the case for everyone, but just some personal stories I've heard.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2011