Isnt it crazy how different everyones labor stories are??

i was in labor 56 hours with my first & epi worked great. 38 hours with my second & epi majorly failed. (both induced) ive heard girls were in labor 3 hours.. so jealous!! lol

mohme2three

Asked by mohme2three at 5:38 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i was technically in labor for 18 hours but not one of my contractions ever hurt, naturally painless labor. i just felt an annoying tightening/hardening feeling which i had no problem with. i expected to be begging for pain meds from the stories i heard and i didn't need anything. yes it's crazy how every labor is different...yet doctors still treat labor like it's all the same. i had to lie and say i was in unbearable pain for them to consider checking me out and i was 6 cm!!
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 5:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• They'll let you be in labor for over 24 hours?
    Holy snap. My OB, after your water breaks, if you don't push that child out within 24 hours, you're gonna get cut. lol
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 5:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Ive had 5 they were all different. First baby I got there around 4:30 5cm dilated had her at 8am with 30 min of hard labor. One was 3 hours. One was 13 hrs, one 12 and another 7 LOL.

Answer by gemgem at 5:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I know! My birth stories are much more like yours. My MIL had 5 kids and my husband (her last) took less than 20 minutes! Of course, to her that means that I'm lying about how long I was in labor, but that's just the way she is.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• With both my boys I was induced and had epi with both. The first one the epi did not work only got numb on one side and I was in labor for 24 hrs but only had to push for 30min. With the second one the epi did work very well maybe a little to well because my labor stalled and after 17hrs of labor had to have a c-section. That was my last one also had my tubes tied.
    dlshaner

Answer by dlshaner at 5:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• No, water breaking does not lead to infection- being probed by unwelcome fingers which really tells us nothing does.

The shortest of my labors was 36 hours, the longest just on the cusp of 8 days... everyone's body is different. 2 of my 3 were born "under the veil". All 3 were posterior.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:49 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• who said water breaking leads to infection? i said there is a *RISK* thank you!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:53 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I didn't realize they let you labor that long either. My ob's rules are if you've been in labor for over 24 hours they do a c-section. My first was 12 hours total, only about 2 hours of real hard labor. This is my second coming up and I'm hoping for a repeat of the first. But I'm comforted by the fact I won't be allowed to labor more then 24 hours. No thank you!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:07 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• my friend had her first in 5 hours her second in 3 and her third in 14 hours...my dr told her at my last appt that she was doing it backwards then he told me usually first babies take up to 14 so im guessing thats his max on how long he is willing to wait
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 8:25 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i too am also surprised they let you labor that long. if the water is broken for over 24 hours, there is a huge risk of infection. anyway my labors were 22 hours, 9 hours, and 0 hours (planned c/s)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:43 PM on Mar. 10, 2011