Have you every taken a 3 1/2 year old on a plane?

In August I am taking my 3 1/2 year old to Alaska and need advise and what I need to know. The last time I was on a plane was in 2000.

mommyflynn

Asked by mommyflynn at 5:49 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• My twin boys (now 18 yrs old) have flown with me since they were 18 mos old. They are quite the fliers. LOL. I just made sure to pack plenty of snacks and a variety of activities to keep them occupied on the plane. I always received compliments on how good they were. :-)
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:51 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My 5 year old has flown 5 times. I always brought dvd's to watch, matchbox cars to play with, juice and snacks for the plane (you can still bring juice contrary to popular belief, you just have to declare it before going through security and they'll do a special scan on it). I also would go to the dollar store and just spend a few bucks getting new and different toys, things we didn't normally play with, and then I'd introduce them on the plane. The "new" factor always helped even if the toy wasn't that exciting. Pipe cleaners are one of those "new" different toys. They're really fun to make things with, yet most children have never seen them so they hold the attention span longer. Now at 5 he's perfect while flying, but even at 3 he did pretty well. I've always received compliments from other passengers.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:59 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My son traveled with me when he was around 3 and it was quite a journey. He was excited at first and once we were up in the air he said he wanted to go back and take off again. From there he went to talk to everyone around us and tell them his name. I think at first people thought oh cute, but after several hours it wasnt as cute. He got bored and I had brought coloring books, books to read, games and things he liked but he got bored. He finally fell asleep 15 min before we landed and I had to wake him to get on the other plane LOL.
    Just prepared for anything and be patient, maybe take a xanax before you board.

Answer by gemgem at 6:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My DD flew around that age. It was fine. We brought snacks, and a portable DVD player. She enjoyed a movie the first half of the flight, and slept the last half.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Yes, we did at that age. Our flight was only about three hours. Besides the ideas above, plan for more food than you think you will need in case you get delayed. My niece always plans double because she has had some really horrendous delays due to bad weather.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:22 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• and have fun!!
    elizabr