My son won't hold his sippy cup.

Nor will he hold a bottle. If I don't hold it for him he throws a fit. He is a year old so I would think he would be doing it by himself by now.

febmom007

Asked by febmom007 at 5:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• every baby is different too. i never made my kids get rid of the bottle or formula/breastmilk by one. that (tom me) just seems ridiculous. just offer the bottle less and less. as far as him not holding it on his own, i'd help to make sure just that he got some to drink, but otherwise i'd just hand it to him and thats it. my first was breastfed for 9 months, then used a bottle and sippy cup. the bottle lasted until about 18 months.... but at that time it was only before sleeping times... and eventually only at night before bed. eventually she didnt even care when i gave her a sippy cup at night bc she was so use to drinking from it during the day. do whatever is easiest for you. bottles make more of a mess when turned upside! so i'd encourage the sippy for your sake. and just keep encouraging him to drink it on his own.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 6:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• i can understand maybe the bottle if you are still breast or bottle feeding before naps and bedtime, bc it is a comfort thing... and i would just do it for him and try to encourage him to hold it himself. but as for the sippy cup..... and drinking throughout the day.... i wouldnt do it! i would hand it to him, and if he doesnt take it, then i'd sit it down next to him, and just walk away and ignore him if he throws a fit. good luck. good luck.... it is probably just the man in him. haha.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 5:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• well he's doesn't get formula anymore. So I'm trying to get him to drink out of a sippy cup instead of a bottle.
    febmom007

Comment by febmom007 (original poster) at 6:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It can take awhile before they do it on their own. The little one I take care of didn't do it on his own for quite awhile. Help him so he gets some and then leave it nearby for him to manipulate and experiment with. He'll get there.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I do. I hold it for him all the time. He likes to shake it and roll it around on the floor.. So his drink gets everywhere.
    febmom007

Comment by febmom007 (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Just let him throw his fit and only give him a bottle if its lfor bed or nap and then you can rock him and hold it but if hes wanting you to do it all the time I would lay it on the line, he either holds it himself or doesn't get it.
    proudmommy42008

Answer by proudmommy42008 at 1:21 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I have WIC so they cut off formula since he's one. I can't afford to buy the stuff myself. It's so expensive..
    febmom007

Comment by febmom007 (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2011