What's so bad about choosing a ERCS?

I know I'm gonna get some less then pleasant answers but really what's so bad about a woman choosing to do a repeat c-section rather then a VBAC?
Yes I believe women should be given the option but what if you don't want to labor?

I'm sorry I really am on here trying to understand but almost all of those studies on the negative effects on the infants they forgot to remove the premies from a study on breathing or forgot to factor out infants who had a fatal birth defect in deaths or removing the mothers who had a preexisting condition that resulted in there death in maternal death. 

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 6:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Hahha...I thought ERCS meant extended rearfacing car seat.....lol I don't have an answer for your actual question. I had an emergency c-section and would end up having another c-section if I have another child, but I think I'm done.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I've had 4 C-secs - all planned. Not because I didn't want to bother with labor, but because my Dr said I needed it with Baby 1 and then others wouldn't allow trial Vbac for others - I am small and have a weird pelvis. You know what sweetie, you do whatever you need to do to get your precious baby here safely. Vbacs can work beautifully, but they can also go horribly wrong. As long as you are making an informed choice, who gives a fat crap what other people think? It's not their body, or baby, they haven't heard all your medical advice, Go look in a school playground and point out which ones were natural, drug free deliveries, which ones were C-secs and which ones had to have their heads vacuumed out - you can't tell because there is NO difference.
    Good luck
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Well, it's major surgery, for one, which should be avoided if possible. For baby, the trip through the birth canal is very helpful at getting mucus and stuff out of the lungs, and that doesn't happen during a c section. Also, with a scheduled c section, the baby (although full term) probably isn't completely ready yet, otherwise, labor would have most likely started. That's just a few things I could think of off the top of my head. There are other reasons, I'm sure. But it's up to you whether or not you opt for a repeat cesarean.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:07 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Simply put, because without the actual process of labor an birth you are putting the infant at risk for respiratory problems, digestive health problems, low blood oxygen and sugars, jaundice... the list goes on, and on, and on, and on... The process of being born (not surgically extracted) prepares the human body for life. Cutting that out of the equation actually kills- 3% of all completely healthy c-section babies die from complications caused from having not actually been born, but rather having been extracted.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Sorry It's the term they put on medical charts(I was trained as a medical assistant and transcriptionist so sometimes I confuse people),just like technically it's a TOLAC(trial of labor after cesarean) not a VBAC but everyone get's really confused if I use that one.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• You know of all the babies of friends and relatives not a single c-section baby had jaundice but more than 4 friends babies had jaundice...all born vaginally. My daughter was born via emergency c-section and didn't have a single problem. My sister had 3 c-sections and all of her children were perfectly healthy. Even her second born was born at 31 weeks, because my sister got a blood clot and almost died so that had to take the baby early...not a single problem. She was only in the NICU for a few days. She was only 31 weeks, but more than 5lbs. C-section babies aren't born?? You're truly ridiculous? I guess I should tell my daughter that I was wrong..she doesn't have a birthday after all. OP.....don't listen to your doctors...listen to the pseudo crackpot cafemom doctors....they know it all. (rolls eyes)
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• ObbyDobbie can I have the name of the study that had 3% of healthy infants dying? I'd really like to see it and read though it same with the one that says anything about bilirubin levels or digestive health that they bothered to take the preemies out of.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• 3% of healthy c-sec babies die??? Where exactly did you pull that from - I'd love to read it. Most babies, no matter how they are born develop slight jaundice in 1st week it's normal and has nothing to do with being "surgically extracted" Yes c-sec babies do not have the same lung prep as vaginal deliveries so have higher chance of respiratory probs at first but apart from that, everything else you mention is a load of crap! Wow, just WOW!

myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I had a C-section with my first and VBACd my second, if I have another, I will have a c-section! I had MULTIPLE complications during delivery and the healing process from delivering naturally, and both of my kids were healthy as horses!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 7:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• In MOST cases it is healthier for the mother and baby. You get to feed earlier, your more alert, easy recovery (most cases), not having major surgery, less chance of too much blood loss, I am sure there are others. No need to bash or judge, I am just answering the question.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:27 PM on Mar. 10, 2011