How to deal with a jealous sibling?

My husband and I recently got married but have been living together for 3 years now. He has a daughter from a previous marriage that I have known since the age of 4 but she only stays with us half the time. She was always a great kid with a fantastic personality and perfect manners. My husband and I have a baby together who is 15 months old and the 7 year old was really excited and loved being around her, there was never a problem. Recently however she has been very jealous and doesn’t want anyone giving the 15 month old any attention. We can’t help when we are out in public and the 15 month old waves and smiles and people respond, but our 7 year old gets really bent out of shape and starts to act out, complain, get jealous and just plain rude to us. We do so much for her and with her that there shouldn’t be a problem.

Humanerror99

Asked by Humanerror99 at 6:24 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Also, we have tried to explain to her that sometimes babies get a little more attention but she did also when she was a baby. We explained that they can't do everything that an older child can and that if she would like people out in public to give her attention also she could always smile and say hello as long as she is with us. She refuses and now she doesn't want to go anywhere, if we try to take her to the movies with just the three of us (myself, her and her father) she says that it's stupid and doesn't want to go. She has a very snotty additude now with our family it's not normal. I don't know if it's relevent but her birth mother has a 4 or 5 month old boy and she says that they never have any problem with jealousy.
    Humanerror99

Comment by Humanerror99 (original poster) at 6:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It's tough to have two babies in her life. When you do family activities don't ask her if she wants to go. Tell her this is the activity for the day. And make sure she gets one on one time with each of you without the baby around. Plus tons of hugs and kisses. I wish you all the best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:08 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Thanks. I guess maybe it's just going to take some time and that this is just a phase for her. She gets lots of cuddle and love time. I think maybe she went from having the family focused on her for so long and than having to split that with two new siblings is starting to have a negative affect on her. I just hope it passes soon!
    Humanerror99

Comment by Humanerror99 (original poster) at 12:01 AM on Mar. 11, 2011