I don't get it... what's the big deal?

So i decided not to put my child in school until he turns 6. Just my own personal decision & i feel it will be better. Everyone in my family thinks it is sooo wrong & keep urging me to let him start at 5. They are being so rude & mean about it even after i made it very clear i would not be changing my decision. Seriously what's the big deal geeez! Has anyone else waited to start their child in school & were people negative about it or supportive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It really is a personal choice and anyone who tells you otherwise needs to pipe down. My son missed HIS cutoff by 6 weeks. Some days I wish I'd pushed to have him tested for early start, some days I'm glad I didn't. I polled another mom's networking site and 90% of the feedback I got encouraged me to wait. That info came from mom's who'd been put in early, mom's who put their kids in early, all sorts.

Teachers would rather have a child that is older and socially ready for school as opposed to one that may need more socialization.

GOOD FOR YOU FOR WAITING!
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:05 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I've started all mine the year they are turning Six - our school year is Feb through to December. From my own experience in helping etc, I do think littler ones, especially boys struggle more, and socially they don't seem to cope as well. What and who does it hurt to allow him an extra year of Mom time - Look at all the people in line at the supermarket or on a bus, can you tell who started at 5 or who started at 6 ? Just don't talk about it - if someone starts the lecture just politely but obviously change the subject. Them - " Why isn't he starting at school this year"? You - " Just because, so, what are you making for dinner?"
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• If you feel that he is not ready, then yes, keep him out and do not listen to your family. You are his mother and you know your child best.
    But...
    If he is ready at 5 then it would be a disservice to him to keep him out an extra year. Most likely then he will be bored and cause problems in class because he will be beyond what they are teaching.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 6:40 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• In MD you can start at 5...but with the area we're in, I'm going to homeschool. My family thinks its terrible and tells me he's going to be 'retarded.' Explaining to them that a child doesn't suddenly become 'retarded' and its a mental illness has done nothing to convince them otherwise. Of course, they are all a product of this school system...so I'm not surprised.

Just tell them the subject is closed and refuse to discuss it. I know its easier said than done bc when I tell my grandmother that she just keeps going.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 6:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My son will be 5.5 when he starts kingerden. he'll be too young to start earlier. but i am startiung then. i think waiting another year for us..and him goin on almost 7 is just too old i believe for K. You do whats best for YOUR child. if you think they are no developementally or socailly ready for K..then don't start them. it could have adverse effects. Maybe get him into Headstart or Pre K.

i know my son will be more than ready for K cause hes been in that kinda enviroment all his life Good luck tho
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 6:48 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My DD turns 5 August 25, and will start K this year. I feel she is READY. She's bright, and has even been attending pre school, so I see how well she's done in the school setting.

It's different for every parent and every child. You do what YOU feel best. :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I don't think it is a Big Deal or anyone else's Business!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 7:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Didn't that use to be the "norm"?  I didn't start until I was 6 and my classmates were all roughly the same age.  Mine is starting this year at 5 but I don't see anything wrong with waiting another year either.  I'm sorry noone is being supportive.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 6:38 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My daughter missed the cutoff by 18 days for kindergarten last year. Her Birthday is August 19th, so they would not let her start when she turned 5 last year. So when school starts on August 17th this year she will just be turning 6. I would have liked her to start last year, but I figure it just gives them time to get ready. Family just likes to but in, my family kept telling me to send her to a different school last year, but I was like um...we are only in one school district. Can't change that.
    jfblaine83

Answer by jfblaine83 at 6:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• jfblaine ugh that's a ridiculous cut off....around here it's December 1st, so I at 4 years old, turning 5 on Dec. 1st was a 4 year old at the start of Kindergarten
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2011