If your 13 yr old daughter asks to be put on birth control..how would u handle the situation?

teen girlwhat would u do and say ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 6:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I wouldn't tell her she is too young for sex, because let's face it, if they want to do it, they will. I'd probably talk to her about how the pill doesn't protect against STD's, find out exactly what's going on with her, and deal with it that way. Personally, I was raised in a very open environment, and I have every intention of providing the same for my children. After all, I never got pregnant (accidentally, that is), or had an STD, and I knew I could go to my parents for any questions I may have had.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:43 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I wouldnt just assume she wanted it for sex. Sometimes girls use BC to help control their periods..I had to to regulate them and my sister to lessen the flow (hers was exteremly heavy).

If she said it was for sex. I'd talk to her about she thought she was ready to have sex. I'd give her BC. because I know that I'd rather her be safe..then end up pregnant at 13 or get an STD. because if it I tell her she wasnt ready..she was too young..I disagree with it and all this stuff.. If she truly wants to have sex..shes gonna do it unless I lock her up. You can't watch ur child 24/7. So i'd give them to her..teach her everything about it and all hat i could possibly know. share my story of sex at 15 and how i wish i woulod of waited..and I would trust my daughter to decide against having sex.but if she didnt I'd rather her be protected..and i'd give her condoms too..lol
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 6:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would take her to speak with my gynecologist. And I'd ask if I could stay but if she wasn't comfortable, I'd leave so she could have an open discussion about it. I would let her know that I think 13 is way too young to be sexually active but would allow her to take the pill after speaking to a professional about it. At the very least, it wouldn't hurt her to be in the habit of taking the pill when she decides to be active in the future.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 6:43 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Have a long talk with her, and explain that this would not be permission, and that she is too young. After you have that talk I would put her on it, you can tell her not to have sex all you want and hope it works, but at the end of the day she will find a way to do what she wants, even if she has to be crafty about it and sneak around. At least this way she wont get pregnant at such a young age, and hopefully she will feel comfortable to come to you about these things. Good luck!
    merandaobrien

Answer by merandaobrien at 6:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would get it for her. Chances are she already had sex or she's thinking about it. I would want her protected from pregnancy. I would get her checked out and also stress to her that she needs to make sure they use condoms as well because she will not be protected from STDS if she is just taking birth control. I would also ask her why she is having sex/wanting to have sex. But I am not going to say no if she wants birth control.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 6:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would flat out tell her she is way too young for sex!

Answer by older at 6:40 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would have a fit. However, I would probably then sit down with her and talk to her about it. Yeah, she is too young to be having sex. However, I have heard enough and seen enough talk shows, etc, to know that just because they are too young, doesn't mean they aren't having sex. It would be better to put her on birth control and make sure that she understands about AIDS, etc than to just say no and hope that she doesn't sleep around.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Honestly, I would after a very long talk, a visit to the gyno so they can tell her how she's too young. Then be very informative about everything so that she would be aware of what she is thinking of getting into. Books, websites, pamplets, whatever info I could find I'd be talking to her about it all. But in all reality if they are going to do it, you can't stop them. You can only prepare them & be sure they understand how serious sex is. Idk how old you are but I'm sure your not wanting to be a grandma anytime soon.
    jfblaine83

Answer by jfblaine83 at 6:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I made an appointment, got the best B/C for her, and her dr. told her how important it was to protect herself from stds. i also had her vaccinated for HPV. she has only had one boyfriend in her life, it didn't cause her to go out and do every guy she met.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 4:59 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I agree with mrs.trial, our parenting skills shouldnt be taken into question, especially since our daughter was comfortable enough to ask us. And I would sit my daughter down and have a very long talk about sex, and birth control, and STD's. And then I would take her GYN and have her talk to that person.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 3:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2011