How do i get my daughter to let me put her hair into a pony tail?

My daughter is almost 2 yrs old. She has curly hair. She will let me put detangler in her hair and brush it. When it comes to getting it up and out of her face she throws a huge fit. Can someone help please? Thank you.

tnvplus2

Asked by tnvplus2 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had the exact same problem about DD not wanting her hair up...ever. I was told by several people to fix her hair in front of a mirror so that she can see you doing it and then stress again and again how pretty she looks...maybe do the same thing to your hair and say how she looks just like Mommy.

BUT...that never worked for me. What did work for me was signing her up for Mommy & Me classes. One of the rules was girl's hair needed to be pulled back. She loved the class, so for her to go, she had to have her hair pulled back.

That was when she was 17 months and she just turned 5 last month...and she still doesn't like her hair up, but she better puts up with it.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 6:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My daughter was the same way. There is nothing you can do. Give her a haircut. Even now, at 7 I can barely touch it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:48 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Tell her how beautiful she will look and how her hair will not be bothering in her face with a pony tail.

Answer by older at 6:50 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I've been doing my daughter's hair since she was about 6 months, so she doesn't protest getting her hair done....she just doesn't sit still very well. I would try doing it when you don't actually have anywhere to be and do it for "fun." And maybe she can do your hair too. Take her to the store and let her pick out some pretty bows and hair ties.....she may then get excited about them.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:50 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My daughter is 4 and all I can really remember is just doing it. While making a ponytail, if she tried to run from me I'd just hold onto all her hair. She didn't like that much and only ran a couple of times. Now she's very patient with me doing her hair, and in return I try very hard to be gentle.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My DD wouldn't let me do hers until I started being consistent with it and told her how pretty she was while doing it. Even if we were staying in, i'd do her hair so she'd get used to it. She's only 17 months with very curly hair but she brings me her brush and detangler when I tell her it's time to do her hair. She loves being told she's pretty!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My daughter didn't like it at all, but when she started preschool her teacher told her she needed to have her hair out of her face for school so she could see. My daughter would wear it for the time she was in school, but when I would pick her up in the parking lot my daughter would start pulling it out!

Answer by missanc at 7:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Thank you everyone :) I will deffinately try your suggestions. I appreciate the input
    tnvplus2

Comment by tnvplus2 (original poster) at 8:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• the mirror thing didn't work for me but you know what did. i put her in front of cartoons and she focused on the toons while i did her hair. ta da. now i do it while she brushes her teeth. because she is 3 and likes to argue. so i figure toothbrush in she cant be mouthy.
    mrs.trial

Answer by mrs.trial at 11:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2011