Who do you know that has BAD MANNERS? & what are they?

I have never met as many people with bad manners as my husbands family! Most of them never say please or thankyou, when they should, you know, like normal people. That's how I was raised anyway, to have manners, simple manners. Another thing that I think is rude, is just showing up at the house without calling first. Our son's been sick this week, & my husbands brother knew this, yet he stopped by 3 times this week unannounced. I always call people first, instead of just showing up. What if they're busy, sick, etc.? It's just something that really bothers me. I haven't even gotton any sympathies from them about my Dad passing away, & that was 6 months ago. I think that's completely rude! Are bad manners & rudeness about the same thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Relationships

• Some people were just not raised right! I don't know anyone really close to me that has no "home training" but I have encountered people in passing that are down right rude. They bump into you and can't say excuse me. Or they are just inconsiderate like talking in the movies or parking way too close to my car so I can't even open my door! I don't get people.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 2:42 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Yes. Rudeness IS bad manners, and bad manners ARE rude. Maybe for Christmas you could give them each a copy of "Miss Manners". Its a book to teach kids about simple manners. Maybe then they'll get the hint. Sound like a bunch of barbarians to me.....
    megabeth80

Answer by megabeth80 at 2:42 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• LOL try having a husband that licks his plate clean when you go out to a fancy restaurant. OMG I was mortified. I have the same problem not with his family but just with him. He farts at the dinner table, chews like a cow, and just has extremely BAD MANNERS. Its gross and disgusting. I was raised to say "thank you's", "welcome" and just to be polite and I hope to raise our son that way too. I agree with MEGABETH80 and I might even get it for my husband.

I'm sorry your in laws are so RUDE and Good Luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Some people just aren't raised to do the right thing, so they don't know any different. Nothing wrong with you teaching them in a way that they have no idea that you are teaching them. Where I am from, you don't have to call to go see someone, thats not rude to me. If I want to see my family, I just drop in. Would you get upset if your family, like your mom, just dropped in?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:02 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• We have some friends who are extremely polite people, but the husband and their 2 teenage sons eat/chew with their mouths open, making noise...and it drives my husband and I crazy. They are the nicest people so we just do our best to overlook it. My brother's girlfrieds talks really loud and chews gum loudly...again, she's otherwise nice and very sweet. I think being RUDE is different than lack of manners. To me, being rude is choosing to be inconsiderate or selfish and usually directed AT SOMEONE. Lack of manners is not always a choice, many people are just not taught manners properly.
    It's a big thing in our house, social graces, manner, proper dining etiquette...not that we're stuffy people, but I think when your children go to other's homes, family or otherwise, or out to dinner they should be pleasant to dine with.
    tomsbride

Answer by tomsbride at 2:51 PM on Nov. 24, 2008