HOW CAN I PRODUCE BREASTMILK

babygirl3769

Asked by babygirl3769 at 1:01 AM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Pregnancy

• well see... when you become pregnant...your body starts a process that makes it to where when your baby is born, you will produce breast milk... remember biology class?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• what week are you? a lot of moms find that they start producing colostrum, a kind of pre-milk, during their second or third trimester. other moms never notice if they are producing colostrum or not but some moms have found that they leak.
    anyway, you produce the colostrum until a few days after the birth of your baby. it's very important to nurse your baby early and often in those first 48 hours as this will help signal your body of the supply that is needed.

good luck!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:47 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• if you're pregnant, you'll probably start producing colostrum in months 6-9 sometime. but some women don't really show any signs of making milk until after the baby's born and they start nursing. then, you'll likely start producing the actual milk (not colostrum) within 3 days. just be sure to nurse your baby often during those first few days, even if you think s/he's not getting enough/anything. it signals your body to keep making milk.

cont...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• if you have a baby already and you're asking how you can produce more, just nurse your baby as often as possible. it's all supply and demand. lots of women get frustrated thinking that they're not producing enough milk, so they supplement with formula and nurse less, and then wonder where their milk went. but, as long as you keep nursing, your body will keep making milk! you may not really notice how your body makes just the right amount until you skip a feeding though! because as long as you're nursing regularly, your boobs won't stay large and swollen with milk like they may have been at first. but if you skip a feeding, they'll get swollen with the milk they made that wasn't drank and that's when you'll see how your body really is making enough milk! =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Your profile says you're still pregnant....patience. Breastmilk gets produced after passage of the placenta. Milk takes up to six days to come in. before that you get colostrum.

Some moms see colostrum before birth. Not seeing it is not a problem.

Pick up a copy of "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro. It's a great basic book.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:34 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• If you're still pregnant, you are getting ready to make milk. When you deliver, your body will release hormones that will get everything in gear. You'll have colostrum at that point (you may leak a little at some point during your pregnancy). Then your milk will come in a couple of days later.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:54 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Like myself I had problems producing breast milk. In fact my milk never came in. Just maybe a half a drop a day and that lasted for months (after I delivered my child) I had an emergency c-section three weeks early. Then they didn't bring my child to me for six hours after she was born. I was very dissapointed at the whole medical staff because they were informed i wanted to breast feed but they still gave her bottles. I pumped with hospital grade equipment as well as tried to get my daughter to breast feed but it never worked. The breastfeeding organization who are "suppose" to support and help moms breastfeed are horrible, they never spent more than ten mins. with me all together. It was a very big let down for me.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 9:53 AM on Nov. 23, 2008