This is a touchy subject......

......but I'm curious about how parents feel about immunizations. Personally, my son has severe reactions to the ingredients and can't receive anymore, and after all of the research I have done, I am disgusted by what I've learned about the shots. Can anyone share their thoughts about immunizations? I'm trying to figure out if he's better off without them. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I spent a few months living in a rural village in West Africa. They also do not have easy access to healthcare, which means they do not receive any shots. There are still children dying of Polio, and even lesser things, like diarrhea. And this is common all over the world.

I think it's great that people are thinking critically about the health care we give our children, but we should also be conscious of what could happen if people abandon modern immunizations. If we were to have epidemics of the diseases these shots prevent, it would mean widespread disaster. With that said, only you know what is best for your child!

PS I am always looking to learn more about vaccinations~ Do you by chance have a link to the info you read that turned you off to them? (if it was online) I would really appreciate it! GL with your decision.
    oceanlover84

Answer by oceanlover84 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• well IMO I'd rather vaccinate and deal with the fever and crankiness than deal with the consequences if my children were to get the disease...those diseases are deadly. the reason they are rare diseases now is because of the vaccines. I refuse to risk my child's life by choosing not to vaccinate. If my child were to die because I chose not to protect them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I immunize my kids so that they can go to school, I wouldn't be a good homeschooling mom I don't have the patience for it. But I don't let them give my kids more than one shot at once. From a lot of the research I have done I have come to the conclusion that most problems arise when 3 or 4 are given at a time. So we make more visits to the dr. but I feel better about it.
    mosarmywife

Answer by mosarmywife at 1:11 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I know alot of parents who think their kids r better off without them (Scare of Autism ) but their is no link or proof to that actually their is a rise of very high #'s of children getting mealses etc.,... due to parents no vaccinating , I never heard of any reaction though, my docotor who himself has a 12 month old has done extnsive research on this & says the risks sre higher if you dont choose vacanations brain damage etc.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I've heard that there is an autism scare with some vacines, but I have discussed my concerns with my child doctor and they worked with me and eased my mind. I've not had too much trouble with them. Fever and slight pain at sight. Like the other mom said, better to deal with that for a day or two, versus some major infection later. This autism thing-Im not well educated on it, so I don't have much of an opinion about it. I do know that school require the vaccines before they can go to school and even some pre-school require it too. I would say your best bet would be to talk to your childs doctor and get the correct information. They will work with you and if they don't, then find someone who will. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• i think, like with a lot of things, you have to go by how your children react individually. Everybody's system is different. Some kids handle immunizations fine, while others are more sensitive. For my children, if they had any allergies or digestive problems, or other sensitivities, I'd do a lot more research and go from there.
    I think it's unfair to lump everyone in the same category.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 1:43 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• read 'the vaccine book' by dr sears.

i think vaccines are great but i also think that nowadays we are giving too many too soon and too often. we selective vaccinate and we also do so on a delayed schedule.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:47 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I vaccinate but I didn't get the MMr shot just because there is no proof that autism isnt caused by it so I feel its just a personal choice. I mean not all moms believe in giving there children cold medicines etc. Noone else should reflect your decision. I just do the research myself. I mean they dont have a one size fit all vaccine. I know I take the flue shot I get the flue so sucks.lol. but they get the rest of there shots. I think all moms love there kids and do whats best for them
    MommaKee

Answer by MommaKee at 6:30 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I agree with heatherama. I think each kid responds differently to vaccines, some can take the 4-6 vaccines per visit w/ little problem, some have bad reactions. Personally I feel like they suggest too many vaccines, too soon.....it's immune system overload! I also selective vax on a delayed schedule (no more than 1 vax at a time and a minimum of 2 weeks between vax).
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 7:22 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I think that since your son is unable to get them you should not discourage others from getting them. If everyone stops immunizing then we will all be faced with smallpox, measles, rubella and polio.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Nov. 23, 2008