I need help.

My daughter is 2 1/2 and there are a lot of changes going on. We're moving and my brother just had his baby (shes the first g-child and not liking her new cousin) and shes just not adjusting well to everything. She's acting out, demanding and screaming which is not her style at all. What can I do for her to help her cope with all these changes. Im losing patience and I just don't know what to. I've tried everything that I can think of to make things easier on her, but she's just not having it. Any advise would help me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Nov. 23, 2008 in General Parenting

• You probably need to explain to her that just because you're moving. THings will be the same for the most part in your routines. It will take a little while but it will. Moving is a top ten stressful thing for adults, let alone for children. It more to do with the changes that are going on than the "terrible twos". Is she close to your brother and/or spent a lot time with him and the grandparents? You might take her to pick out a baby toy for the new baby and tell her that because the baby is brand new he/she doesn't have very many like she does. It will be her special gift to the baby and the baby will love her so much for it. Also reassure her that the grandparents and her uncle still love her even though there is a new baby in the family. I would also show her some baby pictures of herself and say that when she was that little she needed lots of love just like the baby.
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 11:30 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• First talk to her as much as possible about what is going on. This is all pretty hard on her Im sure and she is trying to find her new place in the fam. Do things Just for her, no gifts or candy but like taking an extra trop to the park, watching a special movie, things you guys can do together with no other distractions.
    Second tell her to "use her words" if she is angry, sad, hurt, etc. this helps them express themselves instead of throwing a fit.
    A good way to teach her this is model it, if you are getting fustrated tell her "im really upset" she will soon follow.
    Good luck hope this helps
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 1:24 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• In this case most doctors would tell you that if she throws a tantrum, just to let her be it will past soon. I have a neighbor that has a daughter that is your daughters age and she is also going through a lot of changes. They call these steps the "TERRIBLE TWOS". She has learned to cope with the screaming and the tantrums just by tuning them out. Or getting her attention and asking her what her problem is. The way she explained it to me is that if you give them the attention when they are thowing the tantrum, then they will expect for you to go/come to their every wants. So my advice would be: if she throws a tantrum tune it out she will stop shortly when she realizes that you are not paying her any mind and then she will ask you for what she wants.
    Dallas789

Answer by Dallas789 at 1:30 AM on Nov. 23, 2008