Would You Put Your Child In Special Ed For ADHD??

Would you put your child in a special ed class for having ADHD? My son is 7 yrs old in the 1st grade and his teacher is wanting to test him for special ed.She says this because he doesn't pay attention,finish his work,behind in reading and his grades are not good enough to her.His grades are 71,66,73.The thing I don't think my son would pay attention in a special ed class either.So how would that help him?Maybe I'm wrong.His teacher also tells me she thinks there's somthing wrong with my son besides ADHD.She thinks it's asperger's sydrome.I googled it and he has non of the symptoms.I'm very upset and inferiated with his teacher for this.I need advice what to do here.Please no bashing.

alisha34886

Asked by alisha34886 at 7:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No. The reason she is saying this is for every IEP and kid in special ed the school gets extra funding. Talk to the doctor about changing out medications and what not. It took awhile to figure out what worked for my son, only to find out he was misdiagnosed completely.

Answer by gemgem at 7:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• no
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 7:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Maybe he needs medication. Take him to the doctor.
    Anonymous

• My nephew has ADHD. We found out that it depends on the kid. If you feel like he doesn't need it then don't put him Special Ed classes. At the end of the day, it is mostly up for the parent to decide. If the teacher keeps on you about it, then take her to the school board. Most likely she has no medical history, so therefore she has no right to diagnos your son. Your son could just be going through a fase, or he just don't like his teacher. But hun, it's mainly up to you:)
    MarinesRmyLife

Answer by MarinesRmyLife at 7:34 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Does she want him in special ed class, or does she want him to be tagged as special ed and get an IEP (like he has to meet once a week with the guidance counselor or something)?

Because my ds is ADHD, and when he was little, he did have an IEP, and they did consider him "special ed" because he went to speech therapy, but he was always in either "regular" classes or in advanced classes. The biggest reason they labeled it the way they did is because there is special funding and stuff that the school can get based on it.

I'm NOT saying I would automatically agree to it, but I would take him to a Dr, and meet with the teacher, principal, etc to discuss what the Dr said and what the teacher says. But, honestly, no, just based on ADHD, I would not put my kid in a special ed class (though I would do something about the ADHD).

good luck!!!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I can understand you being Upset but, not Infuriated with his teacher- she is only trying to help find a way for him to Succeed- my son was in Sp. Ed. all through Elementary- & continued with a IEP until he graduated from High School- He is Dyslexic & has some other Learning Disabilities- he would not of been able to Succeed without all of the Extra Help- Your son would benefit from a Sp.Ed. Class b/c he will get All of the Attention & Extra Help he needs with only 10-12 students in the class- If he is struggling now, he will probably be Alot Happier in a Sp.Ed. Class b/c he will be learning His Way & making So Much more progress- Wishing you lots of luck:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 7:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2011