Is King an Islamiphobe or doing a good service?

A study by the Center for Security Policy, found that 3/4 of the mosques in the U.S. actively seek to teach Shariah Law with its mandate to militant action and jihad. While the other 1/4 just provide a place for Muslims to worship, they are in the minority.

Most recent domestic acts of terror (or attempted acts) had their root in this Shariah education. There is, according to Steve Emerson (the noted expert on domestic Islamist terrorism) an active effort to recruit young men to carry out acts of mayhem against the American people.

The other study done by the Security Policy Center, based on FBI statistics shows that assertions of violence against Muslims having increased since 9-11 to be false.
In fact, the study shows that hate crimes against Muslim Americans, measured by the categories of incidents, offenses or victims, have remained relatively low with a downward trend since 2001. For example, in 2009, Jewish victims of hate crimes outnumbered Muslim victims by more than 8 to 1 (1,132 Jewish victims to 132 Muslim victims). From 2000 through 2009, for every one hate crime incident against a Muslim, there were six hate crime incidents against Jewish victims (1,580 Muslim incidents versus 9,692 Jewish incidents). Even in 2001, total anti-Muslim incidents, offenses and victims remained approximately half of the corresponding anti-Jewish totals.

Does the US congress have an obligation to investigate the issue of Radicalism occurring in American mosques? King not only plans to actually consult and discuss these issues with the Muslim community, he also intends to highlight the contributions from the Muslims who have turned in and prevented radicals from carrying out their plans.

http://www.centerforsecuritypolicy.org/p18523.xml

http://www.centerforsecuritypolicy.org/p18663.xml

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 7:34 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Actually Stacy, King made that comment years ago, and has stated that he doesn't consider it accurate. It only comes up when those who doggedly protect and/or defend Islam question him about it.

Why would you ~ personally ~ be so against figuring out why some people turn to terrorism? You have said you abhor the use of force, that terrorists have no true connection to Islam, etc. So, what is your problem?

Why should Islam feel anything but relief that someone is willing to try and figure out why some people use the religion as an excuse to harm/kill others?
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 6:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Well, if petite 40 something blonde's were committing terrorist acts I would have no problem with women such as myself being under scrutiny. I had no issue...and even welcomed the scrutiny the Catholic Church was submitted to when their priest scandal came to light..and I am a very faithful Catholic.

It doesn't matter who the group is...if we don't look into it when there is a problem then WE LOSE.

I found what Mr. Bledsoe had to say very moving. When he talked about how radical Islam came into his home.. I cried. I kind of like the Islamic guy..oh gosh..exhausted brain can't remember his name...I have heard him before.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• He's being painted as a bigot but I think he's trying to address and even solve a problem. With radicalized Muslims in our country right now it make sense to try avoid more. I've heard references to McCarthy and his parade of lunacy but it's not the same thing. Nothing I've heard suggests he's searching for individuals to "spill the beans on suspected terrorists". My understanding is he's trying to stop the radicalization of young Muslims before it occurs. If there is a way shouldn't we explore it?
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 9:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I don't consider what King is doing as 'good' or 'bad' ~ just necessary. What is bad is that it IS necessary. What is bad is that ANYone is questioning the right of the US to protect itself and/or it's citizens from potential harm, loss of property, etc. He hasn't singled out an entire religion, only those who would use it to cause harm. What I DO question is why Muslims seek to demonize him.

When a 'Christian' blew up the Oklahoma building, true Christians in this country (and others) denounced him and were appalled. They do the same with freaks like Phelps, the kkk, etc. We actually have laws preventing sacrifice by devil worshipers.

All those who practice Islam should be denouncing any one who uses/abuses (if that IS what it is ... gotta wonder the way some people here talk) Allah. We have freedom of religion, but Islam is no more 'special' than ANY other belief, regardless of what CAIR demands.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Adnilm, would you care to enlighten the rest of us ... exactly what ARE King's intentions? You appear to know something the rest of us don't.

I don't fear someone who follows the religion of Islam. I don't fear someone who follows a radicalized version of Islam ~ but I have nothing against hunting them down the same way a rabid dog is hunted down, and removing them from society. I wouldn't care at all if they chose to go explode themselves in a vacant field somewhere (and hired someone to clean up the mess ahead of time), but most of them spend quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to blow up a lot of strangers who never did anything to them along with themselves.

We have laws/punishment in this country for devil worshipers that take others/animals to sacrifice ... but it's difficult to prosecute/punish someone that was cleaned up with a sponge and a shovel, nor will it jump start people they killed.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:42 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• We have a real issue of terrorism or attempt terrorism from within our country in the name of Islam. These jihadist are being recruited here by the radical elements of a faith. Blame that radical element for the image problem of Muslims and not the victims who are the American people and others worldwide. If nothing is done, Congress will be blamed for being complacent. If there is an attempt to try to figure out why this is happening and counter this, Congress is being bigots. What will they be the next time someone like the Ft. Hood shooter kills another person? This has to be. We didn't cause it, but we have it to deal with. The jihadist who hate hated long before this.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:43 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• We already have Military and security personnel that do this all day long.

This makes no sense. The military can't take up arms against American citizens without orders from the top. Why not figure out how to stop it before that order needs to be given. However, the military does take an oath to protect America from enemies both foreign and domestic. Are you implying we have domestic enemies that the military should go after? You would rather that than the Congress looking and searching for a more peaceful way to stop the radicalization of our citizens. Or, would you rather the radicalization continue? If it is the second, are you prepared to loose a family member when the bombings start here as they are overseas? I doubt it.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Do you really think these HEARINGS are going to turn up any information?

I don't know, but at least he is trying. He isn't looking for 'info on terrorist'. He is looking to see why our own citizens are turning against us. We do it with other topics that don't carry such dire consequences if we fail. It isn't the terrorist. It is the person who isn't a terrorist, but for some reason is lured into that. Why? How? Can we prevent it? It is called being proactive. 

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I've heard references to McCarthy

This is much of a propoganda move to evoke the name of McCarthy and the Red Scare as the recent attempts to paint the repub. as Nazi's and evoke the name of Hitler. (which the dems had a corornary when PBO sign had a Hitler mustache - more irony). It puts the repubs on the defense, so the libs hope. They need to ignore the name calling and stay the course.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I am glad he is doing this, I think it needs to be done... And I think those Westboro Nuts need to be investigated, as well...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2011