Braxton hicks/pains for 9 hours now.....

i think they are contractions but i am not sure. sometimes i can feel it tightening with not alot of pain then i have bad cramps with no notice of tightening. when i am not hurting or tightening my lower back hurts really really bad as well as a headache not relieved by tylenol. i am only 30 weeks so i dont want to risk it but i don't want to go to the hospital if they could still just be braxton hicks. how on earth do you tell the difference?!?!? she is still moving all around in there though

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I would suggest that you drink a couple glasses of water then go lay down on your left side when you feel pain place your hand on you abdomon and see if it gets hard if it does right down the time of the contraction and how long this lasts do the for an hour and if you have 4 or more then call your healthcare provider and let them know. The other pain could possibly be ligement pain or stretching of your tummy muscles. Since your baby will be gaining about a 1/2 a pound till delivery you will be experiencing alot of pain. The back ppain could be from the way the baby is positioned. If you are still worried then the best thing you can do is to call your doctor. That is what they are there for. I hope this helpps. I am in about the same position you are in. I am 30 weeks and 3 days. I have lots of pain but only a few of them are actually BH's. So good luck.
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 7:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Go drink two or three big glasses of water... my sister went into false labor kinda just like that and she went to the hospital and the made her drink and voila she was all better... dehydration. oh and if the pain subsides or stops when you walk around definatly false.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:38 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• If you are having more than 4 contractions (even if they are braxton hicks) you should go to L&D. If you have been having them consistently, but there are less than 4 an hour, call your doctor or midwife. I find that a warm bath, tylenol, and benadryl are the key to calming down braxton hicks at the end of a hectic day.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 7:43 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Talk to your health care practitioner about the pains you've been having. The time to be concerned is if your water breaks or you are having noticeable contractions that last 1 minute, are less than 5 minutes apart and have been going for an hour.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 7:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Oh and if your still uncomfortable after that... call the doc
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i say, call the doc, lay down drink some water and see if they slow down. i had a baby at 32 weeks b/c i didn't know that tightening of the belly were contractions. you do not want a baby this early if you can help it. keep stress to an absolute minimum!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• You can always call OB and they can help you out. Pay attention to timing, each contraction can feel different depending on whether you are now standing, laying, sitting, etc so the different pains you are feeling can still be contractions. BH contractions very so much between each contraction. 1 contraction can be so strong your tummy is rock hard, the next contraction could be a pain in the back with little stomach tightening at all. BH contractions will go away or lighten up when resting. Most dr's and OB's suggest taking a drink of water and then laying down on your side and rest. As long as they go away then you are ok.

Looks can be deceiving. At 35 weeks I knew I was having contractions regularly and talked to my dr, he sent me to OB to be monitored I had no clue how often I was really having them. I was monitored for an hour and knew I had a least 5, I was having 1 every 5 min.

Be safe and ask, Good Luck!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 8:50 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• the only difference I noticed between the 2 was that, the real contractions were consistant. As for movement....I fell all my kids moving all through labor. So that wives tale of, baby stops moving when you are in labor is NOT true. Best bet is to call doc & they will tell you to come in for fetal monitoring. better safe
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 10:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• hot bath helped me with the pain. i had really bad i call cramps might other wise be called braxton hicks. my husband wanted to take me to the hospital every time. i bite when i'm in pain. i would crawl my fat pregger but in the tub grab a hand towel roll it up and chomp down every time it would happen. sometimes i would stay in there for hours. refreshing water as needed.
    mrs.trial

Answer by mrs.trial at 11:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2011