Girl being mean to my dd

So my dd told me just now on the way to taking my ds to church that a girl she doesnt even know at school is being mean to her. She said the girl told her she was mean and ugly. My dd was really upset because she said she wasnt mean to her or anyone and she didnt even know her. I said well what exactly did she do?> She said she came up to me and said I was mean and stuck her tongue out at me & then she said I was ugly too. I really didnt know what to say? So I told her that girl sounded mean not dd, and that maybe she didnt like her because of something else? She said well her mom cut her hair really short and she doesnt have long hair like me. (Awwww jealousy!)
So do I tell my dd the girls just jealous of her and to ignore her? I am not going to say anything to the school since so far its a one time thing and the girls not even in her class. I also want my dd to be able to defend herself though verbally if nothing else. Any ideas?

Asked by gemgem at 7:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have raised three girls and just to let you know "Girls are Mean", especially if they are jealous of someone. I would however mention this to her teacher. In the event it becomes something more especially with bullying in school. My oldest was very quiet and shy she got picked on a lot... until her younger sister started school. Then her younger sister would stick up for her and was even expelled from the bus for 3 days due to fighting. The bus driver had no idea because no one had mention it to him that there was a problem. Keep encouraging her that she is the better person and not to let others drag her down
    kamore

Answer by kamore at 2:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Just have her say to the girl if she says the sme thing,Im not mean or ugly, but you are being rude and if you bug me again I will the teacher on you!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 7:51 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I have taught my girls that there are other kids out there that will be mean to them or not like them for whatever reason & to just ignore it just like mommy does.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 7:56 PM on Mar. 10, 2011