Where can I find a rough collie?

my mom has wanted one since she was a little girl. She wants one that looks just like the lassie dog from the tv show. Where can I go about finding one? I thought it would be neat to find her one before her birthday and give it to her for her present. I want to get a puppy. Does anyone know where I can go about getting one? I don't have much time her birthday is March 22nd.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 8:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Pets

• Dogs aren't something you get just because someone thinks it's neat.

Rough Collies need a lot of grooming. A LOT, or the coat will get knots in it and that is a trip to the groomer. They also can come with a host of health issues, mainly eye problems, one is called collie eye anomaly. If you go to someone who doesn't know what they are doing chances are great that you will get a puppy with health issues that can be massively expensive if left untreated.

Collies are large dogs and DON'T come trained like the Lassie dog on television. In fact, that one dog, was several well trained, well groomed, properly bred Collies. Collies need training and early socialization as they are herding dogs and require large amounts of excercise. They will also herd anything that moves, which does include nipping of the ankles.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:07 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• con't.

They are prone to hip dysplasia, behavioural issues if not trained well and consistently and from an early age.

Do some research, take your mom to some breeders, talk to owners and see about a litter next year if she is still interested. Most of the collies you will see on Craigslist come from people just like you....they got a dog, didn't know the work that would be involved and decided to dump their dog instead of dealing with the problems they created.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• We have a great collie rescue group in our area, they do not have many puppies though.

Go to the akc website and look for a breed club in your area and ask for breeder referrals.

Or .. AKC or UKC website, look up some local dog events like conformation or agility or obedience and attend the events. Seek out the collie owners and find out who they recommend.

If I were you, I would give your mom a card with a voucher for the collie, and give yourself the time to find a good dog. It is highly unlikely you will find a well bred pup from a reputable breeder in that time frame without a great stroke of luck. So, let your mom know it is coming. She might enjoy being part of the selection process....and most breeders require meeting the actual owner.

I gave my mom a puppy too, for the record. Take your time, find a healthy pup and purchase training gift certificates to get her started out right.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:00 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I don't know what state you are in but, here in North Carolina- i see Collie's on Craigslist alot- check it out:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 8:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• DO NOT USE CRAIG'S LIST
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i live in ohio and I checked craigslist and there is none on there
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 8:48 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I was saying it would be neat. I know how hard it is my grandma had one which passed about 5 years (old age). My mom was telling me and my sister how she would love to have a dog like that and I told her about craigslist so she asked if I could post an ad for her for a collie, but that she wanted a puppy. So I posted that ad, but what I was saying is I would love to find one to give her as a birthday present. I mean she already said she wanted one so it isn't like I am just going to get her one and her not want it. My mom loves dogs as well so that dog would get a lot of love and attention and taken care of.

What do you mean they come from people just like me? I am not taking this dog to dump it on my mom if that is what you mean. I am getting it for her birthday if I can find one before then
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• my mom already said that she couldn't go to meet the dog because she would feel bad for the other ones that needed homes and would end up wanting them all. That is how much she loves dogs that she would want them all if she seen all of them.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 7:26 AM on Mar. 11, 2011