Would you want your child to defend themselves?

What if your child was being bullied & it became physical would you want them to be able to defend themselves or not. What would you do if they told a teacher repeatedly & nothing was ever done about it? Just curious. Me & my hubby were talking about this earlier & he said he wants his kids to know how to defend themselves & fight back.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Asked by iluvmykidsxoxo at 8:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Our rule of thumb is that it's always best to walk away, but if someone tries to physically hurt you, you are justified in defending yourself. My son has taken karate for several years and they reinforce this belief as well.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would want them to be able to stop the attack, but I wouldn't support the idea of "if she threw the first punch, you can feel free to kick her ass." I want them to be able to prevent further attack on themselves, but I don't see it as a free pass to "hurt them back" or to turn the anger loose on them.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Learning how to defend oneself is important in my opinion.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• We have a general rule of thumb in my house. Words are words as much as they hurt you dont hit someone about them but you should have some good come backs to throw back (most in tween & teen yrs). You dont start a fight (physical) but once they throw the first one, then its on, you finish it.

Answer by gemgem at 8:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Absolutely. I wouldn't want them starting anything, but if someone is going to hurt them, they have the right to protect themselves.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:04 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I have always taught my kids that violence was not the way to solve things, but that neither is being a sitting duck. They are not to start a fight, they are to walk away from one if at all possible and address the situation through the appropriate channels, but, if they are not able to avoid the fight, they are to absolutely defend themselves.

Even most states have laws that allow for self defense, so if it's ok for an adult to be able to defend themselves, then why not a child - should they just take a beating? (NOT saying that's what you're saying should happen, just saying in general).

In your specific case, I would go to the teacher myself, and to the principal, and tell them point blank that this has been brought to their attention, you're telling them again, and that they are 100% aware, you WILL be holding them responsible if they were harmed.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:05 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Akido is a good martial art to teach them. Its all takesdowns,no hits

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Mine are all ready to defend themselves... no matter who is bullying them. My oldest son was bullied by a huge girl and he is tiny... she hit him and he hit her back after months of hell. I was his biggest supporter of that one.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I have years of experience with this one. After words didn't work. Meetings with teachers & principals didn't help. What finally did end the problem was that my son defended himself and fought back. Problem solved and really hasn't been picked on again. So in the end the answer is to defend ones self.

laura67-boo

Answer by laura67-boo at 9:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Yes, it is important to be able to defend yourself in this world we live in today.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 9:07 PM on Mar. 10, 2011