How can I get my 16 month old son to stop clinging to my leg?

How can I get my 16 month old son to stop clinging to my leg? He doesn't do it so much at home. But, if I am over at a friend's house, or at my brother's house, he clings to me, and screams until I pick him up. The other night I was at my friend's house and he screamed for an hour because I wouldn't pick him up. Finally he cooled it (for about 15 minutes) when I took him to a bedroom and spanked him. Anyone have any ideas? With Thanksgiving coming up, we will be over at someone else's house and I can't take him acting like that all day long at someone else's house. PLEASE HELP!

pepsimama19

Asked by pepsimama19 at 2:03 AM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sorry but there isn't much you can do right now. try to get him interested in other things, and bring familiar things from home where ever you go. at this age, most kids get a bit of separation anxiety. my son got so bad that i couldn't even go to the bathroom alone in my own house! just ride it out and reinforce your love for him every chance you get. this is just a (annoying) phase, and it will pass in time. i wouldn't spank him for it, because honestly, he can't help it. think about all of the independence he recently discovered. he may feel like if he doesn't need you as much anymore, you may leave him to care for himself. it's hard to be so little. try to be patient with him. i'll bet he's annoyed with himself at this point! good luck!
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 2:45 AM on Nov. 23, 2008