Why is my 5 year old going backwards in potty training?

My daughter is 5 years old and is fully potty trained (unlike her 3 year old brother who is in the works) but lately she is going backwards. At least that's just my thought. For the past week all she will do is poop in her panties. This past Sunday I had to change 4 pairs of panties and today has been 3 or 4 so far. She had a constipation problem up to about a year and a half ago to where it was hard getting her potty trained. But now that she is and has been for a while, why is she doing this? She'll hide that she's doing it and will not give a good enough reason to why. "I wanted to sleep" when she wasn't or "I wanted to play". I've tried taking the game cube off of her and the computer, next will be her Barbies. I'm just starting to wonder, could this be a medical problem starting up just like before where she had to get a powdery medicine to help her bowel movements (because she's not going fully at once in her panties) So I don't know if it's constipation. Point is, she's 5 years old and should not be doing this, right?

monsterprincess

Asked by monsterprincess at 8:35 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• ive read that childern have accidents when something is going wrong and they dont feel good about it. ie, is there any chance she could be molested?? i hate even saying it, but its sounds like a psychological problem. also if your son is being potty trained and getting rewards and praise, she could be wanting that attention, include her in the "fun" just because she was potty trained doesnt mean that her poops in the toilet should go un noticed. GL and i really hope its not what i first wrote.
    Arretsmomma5

Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 8:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My ped. Told me that a child will regress from time to time. She probably sees all the attention that her brother is getting for going potty on the potty and wants the attention too. Also, has there been any big change around ur home? Have you moved lately, have different people been stopping, has mommy and daddy been fighting, umm any sort of things can cause her to regress. No need to worry, just keep reminding her that she is a big girl and needs to go potty on the potty. Reward her for doing it (just like u did in the beginning) I don't know if I would punish her for it, only because there has to be a reason why she is doing it. Good luck!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 8:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• The thought occurred that maybe someone would ask about molestation because I could hear my mom asking the same thing. She's the "overprotective" grandmother sometimes which is fine. But the answer is no, there's no way. Shelby isn't in school yet (she just turned 5 and instead of pre-school I decided to keep her home to where I could teach her the basics). So she is around me 24/7. It's been a while too since she last spent the night with another family member. Being touched or hurt by anyone is definitely ruled out. I really don't even see it as an attention thing because she and her brother get an incredible amount from me and their dad here at home. But maybe she does see something with Lucas that would make her do this - I could count that as a possibility.
    It's just nerve racking when she knows better than this and I keep asking her why. thanks for advice
    monsterprincess

Comment by monsterprincess (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Get her to the doctor to make sure there isn't a physical reason, if there isn't your pediatrician will help you with ideas for fixing this. she may BE too busy, my suggestion is before she starts doing something big have her use the bathroom. But really go to the doctor to rule out a real problem.
    pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Thanks, I will. I've been tossing up the idea of calling the doctor but I feel like it's a thing that as a parent, it's something that I should handle. But I guess calling the doctor wouldn't hurt. When I asked this question I was really hoping that a million mothers that were clones of me and Shelby would come out and say they have this problem too. My sister-in-law made a good point that a big change is my husband going back to work. He was laid off for about 2 months and while he's back to work, it's only been a few weeks. That's something that I did talk to Shelby about last night but she said she's ok. Calling the doctor is probably a very good idea. Thanks.
    monsterprincess

Comment by monsterprincess (original poster) at 6:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• A lot of times this happens when I child is acting out for some reason..
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:16 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Make HER clean the panties. That might just be deterrent enough for her to stop her foolishness.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:23 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Since she has had problems with constipation before, I would check with her pediatrician first.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 5:36 PM on Mar. 20, 2011