Is it normal for a newborn to have a stuffy nose?

My baby girl is almost 2 weeks old and she just started having a stuffy nose. The problem is, everyone in the house is sick except her and I. Could her stuffy nose be the sign of her getting sick? I've used the bulb syringe to suck anything I can out, but it just doesn't seem to be working. I've checked her temperature and it's been staying at 99.1. We feel so bad in not being able to do a lot to help her. Any suggestions?

sunshine2219

Asked by sunshine2219 at 8:40 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yeah they can be sick at that age. My daughter tested positive for RSV at 12 days old and had to stay the night in the peds unit. Talk to the doctor. Never give cold meds to a baby UNLESS the doctor okays it first. Have you tried saline drops in the nose? Don't spray them up, but instead drop them in, and then use the syringe to suck the obogies out. It might help.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 8:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Dang, ok first I thought you asked if it was possible to be sick as a newborn, I misread. Second, I meant *boogies, lol. I hate typos!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 8:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• is the stuffiness affecting her ability to breathe out of her nose? babies hate breathing out of their mouth. try a humidifier in her room where she sleeps. also i heard saline nose drops break up mucus, but if the nasal passages are irritated, then that wont do anything, but the humidifier will. making sure her room is cool when she sleeps and is well ventilated is good too
    Arretsmomma5

Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It is totally normal for a newborn to sick. Try using a humidifer in her room or run a shower (don't need to go in it) and let the steam act as a humidifer. Also saline drops work great for losing things up- we used both for my son and daughter. Make sure you check in with your family doctor as they can make sure it is nothing else. And good luck, i know its hard seeing them sick ; (
    Blessingsof2

Answer by Blessingsof2 at 9:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Are your breastfeeding? Instead of saline drops use a couple of drops of breast milk in her nose instead. I know it sounds a little weird but I promise it works.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 10:40 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Yes it is normal to have a stuffy nose. We do and even at 2 weeks she could, just use the booger plugger haha that's what I call them when the doctor gave me one to get their boogers out. But you could put some water on the babies nose to make it less stuffy and then put on a humidifier. The baby is not sick!

You could put her in a bouncy in the bathroom while you take a shower so the steam could help the nose. :) Hope this helps, sometimes fresh air can help and if you open up the freezer door and stand there for a few seconds to a minute or less it will help too. :)
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 12:23 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• absolutely. Get a bulb syringe and suck the snot out, and try running a hot shower and letting the room steam up and just sititng in the bathroom with the baby. That should make his airway clear up.
    LoveMyPoliceMan

Answer by LoveMyPoliceMan at 4:28 PM on Mar. 20, 2011