At what age?

I see a lot of young children playing outside unsupervised... at what age do YOU feel that it's okay to let them play outside alone?

kaitilala

Asked by kaitilala at 9:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I say that is dangerous no matter what. I know when i was young i was about 6 playing alone outside but my grandma or mom were at the window the whole time watching me.
    Now a days with all the weirdos I suggest the back yard, and school age kids that are mature. never wander out of the yard or out of sight....
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 9:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My daughter is 5 and just recently have I let her go outside and do sidewalk chalk by herself. We live in a townhouse - but so many people fly up and down the street that it scares the crap out of me! We do live in the country but you never know what is going on outside! I check on her every few minutes. Other then that she has never been out of my sight. I know I see kids as young as 7 around here crossing the street with no parents in sight..that is too much to handle these days.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 9:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I think about 7 or 8..but I would still be listening
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 9:53 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• they may think they are alone, but i will always be watching and listening.
    Arretsmomma5

Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My 4 yr old is allowed in tthe fenced backyard so long as the door is open and I can hear him
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I think it depends on where you live. We live in a small town, and our yard is a good distance from the road, and I let my four year old play outside by himself sometimes, but only if I'm able to watch him from the kitchen window, and I'm constantly peeking out to check on him. He's limited to where he's allowed to go while playing, and if he wants to go outside that "border" then I have to come out with him.

Now, if we lived in a large city or something, I probably wouldn't allow him as much freedom at such a young age.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• In the neighborhood we live in now...5. My 4yo runs around outside with her older siblings but isn't allowed outside alone unless she is walking to and from a friend's house. My other kids are 10, 9 and 8 and run all over the neighborhood. All the kids around here are like that. But even if they weren't my kids would still be allowed those freedoms. We used to live in Chicago and they started playing outside alone when they were 5, 6 and 7 (5yo had to be with the older kids). Last summer, before we moved, they were allowed to go to the park around the corner on their own and walk to friends' houses. They were also walking to school alone last year (in 1st, 2nd and 4th grades). I grew up in that neighborhood and it was no more dangerous than when I was a kid.
    I'm so glad we live where we live because all the kids are "free-range" here. It's just like when I was a kid with kids ringing our bell to play every day.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• We have a very safe neighborhood (my daughters school is right next door to us) so I feel comfortable with our area. She is 7 and we let her play in our front or backyard but only if I'm sitting in my living room watching her or out on the porch. I think no matter how safe the area there is always a chance of something happening. With how things are these days I don't know WHEN i'll feel comfortable enough to let her just run around with her friends. When I was a kid I remember doing that unsupervised at 1st grade!
    Humanerror99

Answer by Humanerror99 at 12:11 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I think nine would be a good age. If you teach them to stay in the yard, come in before it's dark and tell them you want to know where they are, I don't think you will have a problem. Where i live, I once saw a child in diapers outside on its own. I don't know what the parent was thinking. The child could have gotten hit by a car.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:58 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I think 9 is good age!
    cageybaby

Answer by cageybaby at 9:56 AM on Mar. 23, 2011