Can he hear me??

i snap my finger without him seeing my hands, one next to each ear at differents lengths away, and he doesnt respond, not even a twitch! ill say certain things like meow, or i love you and he smiles. maybe he can only feel the vibrations, or maybe he can hear me, he just doesnt feel like he needs to acknowledge every little thing i do. and ideas? my DS is two months old

Arretsmomma5

Asked by Arretsmomma5 at 10:04 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well if he passed his hearing exam I wouldn't be too concerned yet. Give him some growing time and see what happens. I think it is wonderful that you will be teaching him to sign :) I think it is a good thing for a child to learn.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Did he pass his hearing test when he was born? If you didn't have one done you can schedule an appt with your ped. And see if they could do one for you or refer you to get one done.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Also, try a rattle. Shake it next to his head and see if he responds to that. Eye movement, turns his head, kicks his feet, etc. Something to let you know he hears u.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• my son passed his hearing test when he was born... but he had so many ear infections/broken ear drums... a crap load of fluid so he wasnt able to hear for the first 2 years ... by the time he was 2 i learned this an got tubes.. lots better now.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 10:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I don't think that reflex is even considered a milestone at 2 months old. Give it some more time :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• 2 months old is a little young to determine hearing loss that way. Babies don't have their motor skills down yet and alot of their movement is uncontrolable. This is more of a test for when they have more control over their bodies. around 4 + months.
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• he passed the hearing test when he was born, but df and i are half deaf in our left ears, df has major ear problems. he sees the rattle move when i do that, i dont know, i try to do a sneak attack and see if he can hear me, but mostly im just curious, we are learning asl anyway. plus im practicing my baby sign.
    Arretsmomma5

Comment by Arretsmomma5 (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2011