If your unborn child was deformed.......?

If you were told in your twentieth week of pregnancy that your baby had no kidneys, liver, or stomach would you continue with the pregnancy or would you choose to terminate the pregnancy. Either way you are going to be planning a funeral.

By terminate I don't mean gruesome murder that pro-lifers like to scare everyone with.

I am talking about a dignified labor induction where the mother will giver birth to her baby and be able to hold the baby before it passes on.

Emotionally which road would you take?

studentteach

Asked by studentteach at 10:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• wow - i would probably induce. would the baby continue to grow in the womb, or is it something would end up as a miscarriage? if this is actually happening to you my heart goes out to you! if its just a "hmm, what would you do" question, i'm glad its not happening to you. *HUGS*
    autbot

Answer by autbot at 10:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I have no idea. The thought of either is so awful that I can not even comprehend making that choice.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I think I would rather carry the baby to term, enjoy all the time I have with him/her WITHOUT knowing about the deformity. I choose not to have ultrasounds or bloodwork that would tell me those things for that reason. I prefer to enjoy my time instead of grieve with it.

If I DID find out and knew my child would not live, I would probably allow them to be safe and warm and feel my love for them in my womb for as long as their little life lasted. As heartbreaking as it would be to continue after knowing my child wouldn't live, it would break my heart even more to make the decision to end their life.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:18 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would induce. It's not fair to a child to continue a pregnancy when the chance of live is 0.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:18 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Terminate the pregnancy at the earliest...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 10:18 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i would continue with the pregnancy
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 10:19 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• that's tough, I would probably induce.
    ss1436

Answer by ss1436 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• That's terrible. A friend of mine at work went thru this. They told her at first they thought the child could have some rare dwarfism, but with more tests they found the brain wasn't developing at all. Or something to that effect. It's been a while and she never talked much about the details. She chose to induce early to terminate. I supported that because I honestly don't know how I would react or deal with that.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Terminate the pregnancy. How could I explain to my 2.5 year old that mommy is having a baby, but it's going to go bye-bye after it's born? How could I spend 9 months knowing I'll never buy a crib, stroller, baby clothes, etc...knowing that my child will die?
    Anonymous

• I would probably carry to term and hope that if my baby didn't live she/he could help another baby live by donating his/her organs. I couldn't terminate on the slim hope that the U/S was wrong.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2011