Bed time for teens

My 16 year old is contantly fighting me and begging to stay up later,I put him to be around9:30 in hopes he is asleep by 10. He gets up at around 6:30 with me and gets ready for school. What time is bedtime for your high schoolers and what time do they have to get up? How many hours does an average teen age boy need?

MZcindyM

Asked by MZcindyM at 10:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• When I was 16 I didnt have a bed time I just went to bed around 11 or 12.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Our 14 yr old has to have lights out at 10pm. He has to be in his room by 9:30, and he can read, draw, but he has to be in bed.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• when my daughter was in HS she was always up late doing homework. We liked for her to be in bed by 11.
    And she had to be up at 7am. She has always been a night owl and NOT a morning person no matter
    how much sleep she got. I think the average 8 hrs sleep is best.
    javajunky2

Answer by javajunky2 at 10:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I think the average teen needs about 9 hrs of sleep. My mom was very lenient, so we really didn't have a bedtime.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:33 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My 15 yr old goes to bed at 11 or 11 30
    Anonymous

• For your son's age 10 p.m. for sleeping is fine. It;s okay if he gets up by 6:30 a.m. Because he is a lil grown up now his body doesn't require more sleeping hours than this. Night outs should be absolute no-no for this age apart from being only once or twice a year. Though you can allow him to stay out with the people whom you trust. My teenager too needs to follow the same though I've tough time doing this. An average teen boy doesn't require more than 6-7 hrs of sleep...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 10:33 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Teens need more sleep because of all the changes that are going on in their body.

http://parentingteens.about.com/cs/teensandsleep/a/teenssleepwell.htm
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:40 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• When my kids were 16, they went to bed by 10pm pretty much on their own. And, got up at 630am. My boys are seniors this year and they put themselves to bed between 1030 & 11. and, they get up at 630 without issues. As for how much sleep they need, it's different for everyone. Sometimes they require more due to growth spurts or extra activity. The way I see it, if they are getting up without issues & able to maintain attention & grades in school without issues, they're getting enough rest. You could try a trial-run. Let him go to bed at 10 & see how he does.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My 16 year old goes to bed pretty late. She has all advance classes which causes her to study a bit more than others. Bedtime is a parental choice. It's your house you should be able to call the shots. Children needs about 6-8 hours a day.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 1:41 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My 16 year old has a 10 pm bedtime, but usually puts herself to bed when she gets tired between 8:30 and 9:30.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:07 AM on Mar. 11, 2011