Breastfed baby getting formula for the first time - help!

my 7-month old is breastfed and has never had any formula. This weekend I have to go out of town and do not have enough stored milk to last for the entire time I'm gone so my husband is going to have to give her formula. We have samples the hospital gave us - one is Gerber Good Start, the other is Similac. I'm nervous b/c the last thing I want is for her to get sick because it's new and unfamiliar. Am I being paranoid? Which formula is better? My oldest was breastfed until she was one and never had formula either, so this is all new territory to me. Advice is greatly appreciated!!

*Update - thank you ladies for your responses, but I'm still confused as to what is best....mix w/ breastmilk or do NOT mix?  Anyone else have experience with this?  Thanks again.  Just want what is best for my little one.

cdecker83

Asked by cdecker83 at 10:59 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had to do this once before. You could mix your breastmilk with formula that way she's getting what she's already used to and all the nutrition is there mixed with a little formula.

Bluesheild formula is good it'smost like breastmilk more then any other kind made! Good start is just as good but I noticed when I compared the formulas together blue sheild advance similac was still the best. I was given that in the hospital as well andmy doctor only believes in facts and what's best! So I would do that :) I hope this helps you.

I know what ya mean momma! I am a momma too lol and I did mix because sometimes I didn't always make enough for my baby she wanted to eat more.
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 12:11 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Start mixing it with your breast milk & feeding her before you go to see how she does with it. Your breast milk will go further if you mix it with the formula, maybe 1/2 & 1/2? She should do okay. But, try it before you leave to ease your mind.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Don't mix. It wastes breastmilk if it's rejected.

There is no "best." It's subjective... and the decision is up to BABY.

Remember that baby needs 24 ounces per day you're gone. Dunno how much you have stored but that's what's needed.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:29 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Why shouldn't you mix breast milk and formula? My girlfriend did it when she had to go out of town for a funeral for 3 days. Her little one had no problem with it whatsoever.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• You have to be careful about giving formula. It is not the same as breast milk and can upset babies tummy. Before you go out of town, have hubby mix it with some breast milk and give it to her. Try it a few times a day. This way she will be used to by the time you leave and you will know if it will have any ill affect on her. Also, if you have time, try getting in a couple of extra pumping sessions. Good luck.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:35 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• You should not mix your breastmilk with formula.
    If you have no other options, all he can do is try both formulas and see which she prefers. Hopefully she'll drink it but prepare him to the idea that she may hold out for breastmilk. A baby won't starve themselves so as long as he keeps offering it, she'll take it when she gets hungry enough. I hope it goes smoothly for you and baby.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 11:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I don't know anything about mixing it but giving her formula will probably not suit her fancy but what else can you do she will probably get constipated my DD did when i was in the hospital and couldn't breastfeed due to the antibiotics they were giving me. My mom just diluted the formula and gave it to her and she would give her some of the frozen breast milk right after to make her feel better. I hope this helped a little. Good Luck.
    JordonMichelle

Answer by JordonMichelle at 11:36 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I have never had to give formula but I guess I would handle it as I do when I am starting whole milk. I just offer the formula at a few different feedings during the days leading up to your leaving. Continue to nurse whenever possible, but slip a few bottles in there. This will help her tummy prepare for when you are gone and when you get back, you will be back on track. She will be fine and you will worry the entire time you are gone, but I promise you, she will eat! =)
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:48 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I honestly don't know about the mixing breast milk with formula...but is there any chance you could get some donor milk? A local friend that breastfeeds that you trust or contacting a milk bank?

I ended up supplementing my daughter once I went back to work despite my desire to ebf till at least 6 months. She's perfectly healthy now but I still wish I'd have tried harder to provide the absolute best for her.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 4:10 AM on Mar. 11, 2011