How do i get my 4 year old boy potty trained?

hes a very energetic 4 year old and will be goin to school soon. i really need help with this..ive tried and tried but it has failed

rebelmommy11

Asked by rebelmommy11 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I trained my twin boys buy putting a few cheerios or fruit loops in the toilet. They got a kick out of aiming for them.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My 3yr old is a very hyper child but what I am doing which he really enjoys is I have a kitchen timer and I set it for every 30 min and when it goes off he has to go set on the potty and as he gets the hang of it I will make the time longer. he thinks its a game
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 11:05 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• At 4 he really should have the attention span, motor control, and cognitive abilities to master potty training. Has a doctor looked into overactive bladder, or another medical condition that might be prohibiting him? Most 4 year olds don't even want to be in diapers because they have friends by this point, and they want to be just like their friends. It could just be a maturity issue, some boys develop slower then others. For my son it was social skills, they came way later then what the books say is "normal." But before continuing to beat a dead horse I'd be ruling out medical and cognitive roles. If that all pans out then I'd place him in underwear, cover my house in plastic, and do a potty training boot camp for a weekend with positive reinforcement. By all means he should know when he has to go, and laziness shouldn't be an option.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would talk to your doctor about it as well because he really should be potty trained. (I promise Im not trying to be mean) It may be nothing, he may just want to do it when he's good and ready but I would ask about it. When I potty trained my oldest son I rewarded him with a sticker or a couple of M & M's. I really just talked it up a lot. Also have you tried taking him to pick out some cool underwear?
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• what have you tried? methods - wise? WILL he go if you ask him to? pee or poop? is he waking in the AM Dry?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My eldest was 5 before he potty trained, but he had developmental issues. I agree with ba13, you should have all medical issues ruled out to make sure he's healthy. With my now 3 year old, he was very resistant to potty training! I had tried everything (as with his brother-egg timers, rewards and cheerios-which is to improve aim lol). So we were at the Dollar Tree and I found some Toy Story 3 stickers. I told him he could have a sticker EVERY TIME he went potty in the commode. He was trained in 3 days, including BM. After ruling out medical/developmental issues, find his currency (sticker, cheap toy, a Skittle or M&M or even story time with you.) And be consistent. Every time he goes, even if it's just a trickle! And make sure you have them with you when you leave the house! GL.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• consistency is the key just keep reminding him every hour or half hour if you have to and he will get it soon

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:55 AM on Mar. 15, 2011