Laxitive abuse

Does anyone know the long term affects of Laxitive abuse, I have some problems with them and now I can`t stop. Anyone have advice as to what I can do to get away, I can`t just stop, cause I can`t go without them, and I can`t afford a DR.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Health

• sure you can go with out them , are you purging also ?
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 11:19 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/nedaDir/files/documents/handouts/Laxative.pdf

I hope that helps you. You should also see a doctor and probably a counselor too. GL
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• laxative abuse WILL cause long term problems. You run the risk of never being able to move your bowels without the help of laxatives. You will have to retrain your colon to work on its own. This will require a high fiber diet and lots of water. If you are taking the laxatives as a means for weight loss then you can seek treatment at a community mental health center to treat your "eating disorder". Community mental health centers provide care on a sliding scale fee program, and some offer free services.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 11:25 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• your liver filters all that stuff from your system....liver failure. kidney failure. Your body can shut down. Please get help, now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• You need to get some help. Good luck hun
    Mommyto2LilMen

Answer by Mommyto2LilMen at 3:35 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• BUMP for you....get better.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 3:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• The ability to poop on your own when you stop is in jeopardy after laxative abuse. The fact that the nutrition that you NEED is not getting fully digested, is another, as it can lead to severe deficiencies. I am sure that is part of the reason for the abuse (or at least it usually is), but it is hell on your body.

I'm not judging, because I have had a 15 year struggle with bulimia and other eating disorders. Just know that once you are better, you will be able to see how devastating these things are on your body.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2011