How do I begin to potty train my 2 year old son??

Van just turned 2 in September & I really need to potty train him but I don't know where to begin. Please help!

a1987

Asked by a1987 at 3:10 AM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He will not potty train if he is not ready to potty train. My son turned 2 in July and we have been trying off and on since he was about 20 months old. He is just now starting to really have an interest in the potty. I let him tell me when he wants to sit on it. Then I praise him for trying. On the few times he actually has gone we make a big deal about it. Some days he wants to try more than others and some there is no way he will go near the potty. I say just encourage him to try but do not force it. He will go when he is ready. That is how I feel about it. I'm letting him lead me in this journey.
    EtiesMommy

Answer by EtiesMommy at 4:04 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I would start by picking 3 times a day when you will take him to the potty. I picked as soon as dd woke up, before nap, and before bed. We are still working on it, but I founs that routine is the best way to go about it. I picked only 3 times to start out with because I didn't want her to become overwhelmed. It seems to be working out great! When she gets up she goes straight to the bathroom. I think we will have this covered soon. I want to wish you and your little man the best of luck!!! Start with this and if you would like anymore ideas then feel free to pm me.

alicia_4307

Answer by alicia_4307 at 4:40 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• my son is 3 yrs old and hes not ready to be potty trained, if there not ready it will be way harder to teach them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:44 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I'm in the exact same position my boy Dylan just turned two in October and its a nightmare but because i have a 4yo and a 7mo and i am pregnant with a big bump it makes it even harder i am a Sahm and Dylan is usually a good boy but with potty training its a nightmare i suppose its that little bit easier because he likes to copy his older brother but what i do it sit him on there and tell him not to come of until he is finished but it never works so i have started telling him of if he goes in his pants (i don't mean nasty nasty i mean just "Dylan what did mammy tell you about using the potty and not your big boy pants") but i have left him in his nappies for the time being but still use the potty.

Stacey.x

happytohelp

Answer by happytohelp at 6:46 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• my son is almost 2 and we started out by putting the potty in the living room and found a movie he would sit throught (the nightmare before christmas) and in the morning we sit on the potty till the movie is done if he pottys or not i tell him hes a good boy and did a good job we only started with once a day it seems to be working..he pottys sometimes good luck
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 9:27 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• i was so lucky, my son potty trained so easy. we got him a potty seat for his second birthday and i put it in his bathroom and didn't make a big deal out of it. he played with it and got used to it and a couple of times he would want to try to use it, one day (after a couple of months for getting used to the potty seat) he told me he didn't want to wear a diaper anymore he wanted big boy underwear. by the end of that day he was potty trained. i think it was because we let him go at his own pace and we didn't pressure him. good luck :)
    Julia0331

Answer by Julia0331 at 10:04 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• My son is 22 months and decided one day that he was ready to go pee pee in the potty. We haven't had any problems yet. We never pushed him to do it, he just decided it was time. We had introduced him to his "big boy potty", and everytime that my husband or I went to the bathroom he went with us. One day I tried the go sit on the potty once every hour, and that didn't work at all. We just left it that if he wanted to go he knew where it was. Everyone told me that boys usually train much later than girls. We just wanted to introduce him so he knew what was going on. Don't force the issue, because you'll only become frustrated when it doesn't work.
    Pregowithsecond

Answer by Pregowithsecond at 2:00 PM on Nov. 23, 2008