Potty Training tips anyone?????

So, My lil' guy Matthew is 15 months old. He walks like a champ communicates pretty well, he lets us know when he as we say;"needs a new butt." lol... He also WANTS to throw his own dirty diaper in the garbage. So my husband and I decided it was time to start potty training.. We got him a cute lil' potty chair and let him pick out his pull ups!

Any more experienced moms have any tips, suggestions, or stories????
Please let me know.

MattMattsMomma

Asked by MattMattsMomma at 11:34 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when the kids where little i would put cheerioes in their potty so they hit them boy does this work
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 11:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I have six kids and my best advice is: patience!!! Especially as you are trying to get him started so young, you need to EXPECT a LOT of accidents. Don't get mad. He's just little, yet. You may find he's trained within weeks or it might be months or it might seem like he's trained and then suddenly you're getting lots of accidents again. That's NORMAL and he's not being "naughty". Just give him lots of loving encoragement when he does make it to the potty, but lots of "oh well, never mind" when he doesn't. My youngest is two and a half and not trained yet - I tried to train 'em young with my first couple, but the frustration was not worth it. Better to just wait until they are well and truly old enough, and then go for it. That's my choice. Good luck with you and your little man, just don't be surprised if it's a long road yet!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:03 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I dont have much advice Just in the last two days My daughter as chosen to run around naked and she is going potty all by herself without me having to remind her to use the big girl potty. It made me cry today lol She had a few accidents. the one tip i can give you and it may sound weird is put his potty in whatever room he is in until he gets more comfortable with his potty then move it to the bathroom and keep it there and tell him this where the big boys potty. I have my daughters in the living room all day until its time to go to bed then I put it in the room she falls asleep in until so she can just get up crawl out of bed and sit down and crawl back into bed until she gets a better control of it. :) Good Luck on your potty training.
    JordonMichelle

Answer by JordonMichelle at 12:19 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Thanks for the tips and advice to far guys. I will try to keep y'all updated on his progress. Jordan, doesn't sound weird at all .. My mom used to have my potty chair in the living room and then the hall way out side the bathroom and finally in the bathroom when she felt i was ready ...
    MattMattsMomma

Comment by MattMattsMomma (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• They have awareness at this age but can not tell you they have to go yet. It takes a long time to get to that step. Google "toilet training readiness" and you will see some useful info.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:44 AM on Mar. 11, 2011