Does your child's school provide snacks and if so what kind of snacks do they provide?

My child is in the 2nd grade. This is his first year at a new school in a new district. At his previous school the kids were allowed to bring a sensible healthy snack for snacktime. This new school provides a snack and when I tried to send my child one they told his he cannot bring one from home. That wouldnt be such an issue if they actually provided snacks I felt were acceptable for kids his age. I mean Radishes, Cauliflower, and JICIMA. I dont even like Jicima. I am so furious and totally ready to contact the principal. I don't see why my child should go without when I have plenty of healthy alternatives I can send for him so he has a snack to. If other children also dislike the snacks provided thier parents should provide them with something.

LeeLeeMarie

Asked by LeeLeeMarie at 12:03 AM on Mar. 11, 2011 in

• That is strange. I mean, if they are to provide snacks, they should be healthy, but serve ones kids will actually eat! Like carrots,with dip, whole wheat crackers....I'd be annoyed too.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• My kids are in daycare, but they have to bring their own lunches...My Nephews are in a elem. school that they have to bring their own lunches too and snacks, my sis just packs cheese its or little snacks like that but each week they have to buy a bulk thing of snacks and she gets gold fish cheese its boxed types of snacks...
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 12:08 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Sounds like the school IS providing healthy snacks and you would be surprised what kids WILL eat when their parents aren't around. Why don't you give it a chance and see if your child learns to like new foods?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My son's school does not provide snacks.

It wouldn't hurt your son to at least TRY something new. Besides, a lot of school's these days don't let kids bring food from home cause of all of the food allergies kids have these days. If your son were to bring somthing to school and shared with someone who was allergic to what he was eating it would be a liability and possible lawsuit for the school. So I completely understand why the school has a rule against children bringing food from home.
    liz.1986

Answer by liz.1986 at 10:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• NO! We are miliary and our kids are in DODEA ( on post) we send each child witha snack and juice everyday, for them o provide is kinda weird IMHO
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Our school provides snacks. I would love it if they were as healthy as the ones you describe! Usually they have canned fruit and milk. The worst one is a cold tortilla with a super thin piece of ham with water to drink. And no parents cannot send snacks except for a birthday celebration.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 4:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• In response to Liz 1986- My son does try new things. He eats a variety of fruits and veggies every day. Even if he doesn't think he will like something he tries it. We have been getting him to do that for years. The rule in our house is try it if you don't like it you don't have to eat it. And they serve snacks that I wouldn't even eat and I eat almost any fruit or vegetable. And I am sorry but as far as the sharing food thing, if that were true than kids wouldn't be allowed to bring cold lunch, if they were so worried about allergies and kids sharing food and lawsuits. My son tells me when they bring cold lunch they cant share so that should be the same in the classroom.
    LeeLeeMarie

Comment by LeeLeeMarie (original poster) at 4:17 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• My son's school does not provide snacks; he has to take in healthy snacks the teacher sent home a list of acceptable snacks at the beginning of the school year
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

Next question in
Youngest or Oldest in Kindergarten?

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
Have you had sex