Would you feel the same? Father of Murdered 5-Year-Old Says He'll Make Sure Killer Suffers Same Fate

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/08/father-says-murder-5-year-olds-killer/?intcmp=obinsite

The father of a 5-year-old boy killed in 1975 is vowing to murder his son's killer if the man is released, as scheduled, several years early from a 40-year sentence.

John Foreman said in an interview Monday with WPRO-AM radio that he will kill convicted murderer Michael Woodmansee "as aggressively and as painfully" as he killed his son if Woodmansee is released from prison early.

Woodmansee, who was 16 years old at the time, kidnapped and killed Jason Foreman in 1975 in South Kingstown, R.I. He confessed and was convicted of second-degree murder eight years later. 

Jason Foreman was presumed to be missing until 1982, when Woodmansee tried to lure another boy into his home. The boy escaped and police began to question Woodmansee about Foreman's disappearance.

Authorities found the boy's skull and bones on Woodmansee's , along with a journal that detailed the gruesome killing. John Foreman told the radio station that Woodmansee wrote about eating his son's flesh in the journal.

"That's what he thinks about. That's what is still on his mind I'm sure, if gets out again, to do this again," Foreman said.

Woodmansee pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in 1983 and was sentenced to 40 years in jail. This was part of a plea bargain meant to spare the Foreman family from hearing the details of their son's death. 

But Woodmansee is set to be released 12 years earlier than was previously expected, the Providence Journal reports, sparking outrage from the Foreman family.

"I do intend, if this man is released anywhere in my vicinity, or if I can find him after the fact, I do intend to kill this man," Foreman told the radio station.

Amy Kempe, a spokeswoman for Attorney General Peter Kilmartin, said in a statement Monday that he was concerned and outraged about Woodmansee's scheduled release, and said he was urging the Department of Corrections to consider all avenues available to keep him behind bars. Kempe said the office would work with the Department of Corrections to review all legal options available.

Patricia Coyne-Fague, chief legal counsel for the Department of Corrections, said Monday she had not yet heard from the attorney general's office, but that typically the only way an inmate can lose good time he's earned for early release is if he misbehaves.

She explained that Woodmansee is eligible for early release under a longstanding law, first put in place in 1872, and last significantly changed in 1960. That law allowed Woodmansee to earn up to 10 days off his sentence for every month he behaved. Because he also had a job in prison, he was eligible to receive up to two additional days per month off his sentence for every month he worked at least 15 days, she said.

For his own protection, Woodmansee served nearly all of the last 28 years of his sentence in prisons in Massachusetts instead of Rhode Island, but returned to the state last week, the newspaper said.

Now the question is, would you feel the same way, and would you publicly announce it? I would probably feel the same, but there is no way I would say I was going to kill someone, and honestly I don't think I could go through with it even if given the opportunity.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 12:11 AM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I wouldn't publicly announce it, but I can understand how the father feels. He may have announced it though as a warning to authorities...he wants them to keep him in jail, but I think he's willing to go through with his threat if they do release him.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:14 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I wouldn't have publicly announced it but yes, I would follow through with that threat.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:22 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I have to say that I would probably do the same, it's just a horrible thing to think about I couldn't imagine having to live with that
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 12:26 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I'm with you, April. Dad can work in more productive ways. Like getting that ancient law repealed. He should get in touch with the Chelsea's Light Foundation to learn how to make effective change.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:26 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• if i was a guard there i would have his ass shanked to do the father a favor
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:59 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• You bet your ass that man would be dead the second he got out of jail. Would I personally do it? I'm not sure, but at the very least, I'd hire someone else to do it. I'm sorry but when the justice system fails, sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands. If this stupid legal system would stop being so concerned about the rights of CRIMINALS and start giving 2 shits about the VICTIMS, the possible FUTURE victims, and the loss their family and friends are going through, maybe we wouldn't have to hear about people wanting to murder their child's murderer who didn't serve the proper sentence.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:23 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• i would definately follow through with it.
    Angellove30

Answer by Angellove30 at 12:25 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I wouldn't let everyone in the world know- it would just make it harder to get it done- but I'd definitely be waiting for him when he got out. And I know my DH would feel the same way.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:56 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• "For his own protection, Woodmansee served nearly all of the last 28 years of his sentence in prisons in Massachusetts instead of Rhode Island, but returned to the state last week, the newspaper said."

that's what i have a big problem with. why do we 'ptotect' any criminal? Pediphiles are kept out of general prison population, and this guy didn't even have to look his own state criminals in the eye. i realize he was 16 at the time, but that doesn't matter to me, what he did was horrific. At 16, he was capable of knowing right from wrong.

boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 9:32 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• "I'll donate to his defense fund"

Why am I not surprised?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:11 AM on Mar. 11, 2011